CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Can I access information from my Outlook email?

I receive an email at 2:00am every morning, and I want my application to start from that email and use information from the text within that email. I can create a rule to start my application, but how do I access the text within the email from my app?

Re: Can I access information from my Outlook email?

There are a couple of ways...

Instead of writing a rule, have a look into writing an Outlook-Addin, which could do the same thing, and probably would have access to the emails.

If you know how your email is hosted (POP3, IMAP, etc) then you could use a freeware library for .NET that would allow you to login and read emails. Then not actually requiring outlook to be open all the time, you could just have a scheduled job setup to run at 02:00.

If you email is hosted on Exchange, you could have a look into WebDav with Exchange/IIS. I have used this in the past and it is very effective.
    OutputDebugString(...); Is your friend!
    http://www.spikedsoftware.co.uk

can anyone give me a simple, detailed code based answer?

Quote Originally Posted by skake01
    can anyone give me a simple, detailed code based answer?
    Good Morning.

I have been developing an application that also uses POP3 to read certain messages, but the thing is that you need to write a custom POP3 library, because many of them require that you purchase em.

I used this website as a reference for handling POP3 data:

http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_san...pop3telnet.htm

You can also look on codeproject and find some nice examples. Be aware that many POP3 servers require you to use SSL to connect to their server in order to do anything...I could not find any examples on the internet whatsoever that dealed with this, so I had to tinker around and wrote methods to handle this...

I will share the code once I have access to my computer...which will be in about 8 horus or so.

If you need any more information, just reply and ask...and ill try to answer it .

BTW, my library has just about all the functionality that you need to handle POP3 requests...
    If this post helps you out, please rate it!

Quote Originally Posted by messycan
    Good Morning.

I have been developing an application that also uses POP3 to read certain messages, but the thing is that you need to write a custom POP3 library, because many of them require that you purchase em.

I used this website as a reference for handling POP3 data:

http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_san...pop3telnet.htm

You can also look on codeproject and find some nice examples. Be aware that many POP3 servers require you to use SSL to connect to their server in order to do anything...I could not find any examples on the internet whatsoever that dealed with this, so I had to tinker around and wrote methods to handle this...

I will share the code once I have access to my computer...which will be in about 8 horus or so.

If you need any more information, just reply and ask...and ill try to answer it .

BTW, my library has just about all the functionality that you need to handle POP3 requests...
    Thank you.