CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

using c++ to instantiate a c# object?

Hi Everyone

I'm wondering how to instantiate a c# object and make a simple method call on the object using c++. I don't need any complex interactions or anything. All I want to be able to do is the following (written in pseudo c++):

Code:
      C#Object obj;  //instantiate the object
      obj.getStringFromCPlusPlus("heheheheh");  /* pass a string from my c++ to the instantiated c# object, and the c# object will do the work from there */
    I have googled around for some of this and it all seems really complicated, but then again the examples they give are more complex than this one. I really don't know where to start with this. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thanks

Re: using c++ to instantiate a c# object?

Why do you need to do this? Why not either write everything in C# or everything in C++?

I'd imagine you can only do this in managed C++. Are you trying it in managed or unmanaged C++?
    Succinct is verbose for terse

Red face Re: using c++ to instantiate a c# object?

Ok, here's the situation. I have some code in c++ that does what I need it to, and I don't want to rewrite it in another language as it is complicated (it does dll injection to subclass a non-standard windows control so that it can intercept messages to that window). I'm writing a program to track my statistics and the statistics of those that I'm playing with in online poker (similar to other programs like PokerHUD) in real time. I have almost no experience in c++, and a fair amount of Java/c# experience, so it would be a lot easier for me to pass the messages that are captured in c++ to c# or java for parsing. Basically I just want to pass string messages between two programs that were written in different languages (so there's probably better ways to do it than instantiating objects? - sorry, I'm not a great programmer :|) I just really don't want to do everything in c++ because it will make the project less enjoyable as I will have to constantly look things up online that I don't know about .

As I have almost no c++ experience, I'm not sure about managed vs. unmanaged. I'm working in visual studio 2008, and there are no __gc declarations in the code (this means no managed types?). Is there a way to check if a project is managed/unmanaged?

edit: I suppose in the worst case I could just write the messages out to a file and then read them in from my program in another language.. How much slower do you think that would be comparatively?

edit2: If it might be easier to instantiate a c++ object in c#, I could probably do it that way as well. Also, if it is easier to work between c++ and Java (I'm not sure), I could do that as well.

Thanks
    Last edited by nightmares; October 14th, 2008 at 10:41 AM.

Have a look at http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/unm...tomanaged.aspx for starters.

Normally you need a whole load of interface wrappers which are just one liners and quite tedious to write but this article provides an alternative.

Thanks for your help. I'm sure this way would work, however I found an alternate method, using WM_COPYDATA to send the strings between the c++ and c#. http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/wm_copydata_use.aspx While this doesn't address my problem as I had initially intended to (see OP), it works.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by cup
    Why do you need to do this? Why not either write everything in C# or everything in C++?

I'd imagine you can only do this in managed C++. Are you trying it in managed or unmanaged C++?
    "Managed C++" is completely obsolete [it existed only with V1 of .NET] the proper technology is C++/CLI. They are two totally different things.
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

Guess I'm about 5 years behind - comes from maintaining legacy code where things still have to be done the old fashioned, clunky way.