CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: F# and Erlang

F# and Erlang

Anyone else mucked with these two? Just curious. I'm just screwing around with Erlang and it's really neat. I'd like to learn how to code with F# (now if only I could get it to cooperate with Visual Studio 2003 and do my projects from there).
    Here are the rules, you must obey them or the gender bender will get you.

And if you ever think of posting without code-tags, the evil monkey will come after you.

Re: F# and Erlang

F# is great for functional programming. There is a good introduction article right here on CG "Getting Functional with F#".

Just curious why you are using 2003 - support ended for that last month [10/14/2008] and both 2005 and 2008 (not to mention 2010 CTP) all have significant improvements and have free express editions.....
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

Quote Originally Posted by TheCPUWizard View Post
    F# is great for functional programming. There is a good introduction article right here on CG "Getting Functional with F#".
    News to me. Where is it located?
    Just curious why you are using 2003 - support ended for that last month [10/14/2008] and both 2005 and 2008 (not to mention 2010 CTP) all have significant improvements and have free express editions.....
    It's all that I have and don't have the allocated $$$ to buy something newer (I might make an exception for 2010) . Can you get the Express editions to work with F#? I'm under the impression that you can't.

If you ask me, Erlang does a superb job of having process to process message passing. It's just awesome at this. Originally designed for the language. F# doesn't seem to have as much support to this (I could be wrong). However, despite my love for Erlang, the number of libraries and toolkits that talk to it is tiny compared to F#. I'm torn...
    Last edited by YourSurrogateGod; November 20th, 2008 at 10:03 PM.

And if you ever think of posting without code-tags, the evil monkey will come after you.

Quote Originally Posted by YourSurrogateGod View Post
    News to me. Where is it located?
    Right in the adverisement for codeguru to the right of your screen...
    It's all that I have and don't have the allocated $$$ to buy something newer (I might make an exception for 2010) .
    I sort of figured you for an "MSDN Universal" type....
    Can you get the Express editions to work with F#? I'm under the impression that you can't.
    You can not do integrated development, but you do NOT even need any version of Visual Studio.
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

I sort of figured you for an "MSDN Universal" type....
    I'm a slave to the colorful text. It makes reading code sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier later on.
    You can not do integrated development, but you do NOT even need any version of Visual Studio.
    Yes, but, it makes writing and debugging code way easier .