CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Where C++ is used?

Hi

I wished to become C++ developer but now I am java / j2ee developer.

So I know where are the places java / j2ee used . That is for example in banking domain Java is used as a programing language with JSP as front end and oracle or something as backend. Here EJBeans are used for server side programming. So i can develop all client and server transaction.
    This is one of the domain. Likethis Java / J2EE is used in so may places.

But i donot knwo and i couldnot understand that where C++ is used and how?

Can any body explain me in few lines like above where it is used and how?

It will very help full for me to understand the basic of C++

Thanks & regards
    Meenakshi

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Where C++ is used?

Pretty much anywhere that a high-level language is desired but the overhead incurred by running in a VM (like Java or .NET) is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindley View Post
    Pretty much anywhere that a high-level language is desired but the overhead incurred by running in a VM (like Java or .NET) is not.
    Thank you so much for your reply.

Can i get some more?

That Can we develop the Banking domain by C++?

Can u please tell me some domain developed by C++?

Thanks & Regards
    Meenakshi

Games, operating system guis, kernal is probably straight C but possible to do in C++, business software tho I think cobol still used fairly heavily in this domain, databases, office applications, compilers, media players and much more.

Taking your example above:

The Oracle DBMS is programmed in C or C++.

The JVM that is running your JAVA programs is programmed in C or C++.

The Operating System that the applications are running on are programmed in C or C++.

Sorry for writing "C or C++", they are definitely two separate languages even though the areas where they are used are often the same and you find quite a lot of code written in a mixture of both (C++ programs using C libraries).
    More computing sins are committed in the name of efficiency (without necessarily achieving it) than for any other single reason - including blind stupidity. --W.A.Wulf

Premature optimization is the root of all evil --Donald E. Knuth

Please read Information on posting before posting, especially the info on using [code] tags.

I am a professional developer in New York. OVer the years I have worked with many financial/banking companies here including some Wall Street firms.

There is a lot more C++ code in use than Java, so I wam curious where you got your information.....
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

C/C++ is also used a lot in embedded & real-time environments.
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong."
    Richard P. Feynman

Bjarne says... lots of places...

Games, operating system guis, kernal is probably straight C but possible to do in C++
    Actually most games major games these days (at least that I've seen/heard any details about) use C++. MS has used it for windows since at least about Win95. I'm also pretty sure KDE is written mostly in cpp, not sure about any of the major *nix distros.
    Last edited by Speedo; November 21st, 2008 at 10:25 AM.

Hi

I thank all for their replies

I got more

Regards
    MeenaKannan

Quote Originally Posted by meenakannan View Post
    Thank you so much for your reply.

Can i get some more?
    If you're talking about Windows, many, if not most of those third-party libraries in the form of DLL's and ActiveX controls are written using C or C++, even though they are designed to be used by any language.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

The Symbian operating system for mobile phones (including Series 60 and UIQ) are written in C++
    Correct is better than fast. Simple is better than complex. Clear is better than cute. Safe is better than insecure.
    --
    Sutter and Alexandrescu, C++ Coding Standards

Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.

--
    Harold Abelson and Gerald Jay Sussman

The cheapest, fastest and most reliable components of a computer system are those that aren't there.
    -- Gordon Bell

also you will dealing with C++ even while you are working with PHP. all the libraries (DLLS) that are used in PHP like GDI have been Written with C++.

Also most of the games Games that you play are C++. also the engine behind the games (like Physics Engine or other Game Engines like Ogre, Allegro, ClanLib, GameBryo, Medusa, Realm Crafter Pro Edition ...). WOW ... Ogre is my favorite (amongst the open-source engines)!

Most of the offical applications e.g. anti virus, anti spam, anti hack, accounting, math programs, chemistry applications, physics simulators, engineering applications are written with c++ not java.

even when we speak in the area of the games C# is behind the C++.
    Please rate my post if it was helpful for you.
    Java, C#, C++, PHP, ASP.NET
    SQL Server, MySQL
    DirectX
    MATH
    Touraj Ebrahimi
    [toraj_e] [at] [yahoo] [dot] [com]

Quote Originally Posted by toraj58 View Post
    even when we speak in the area of the games C# is behind the C++.
    I do not understand this part of your post [the rest is very good]. Can you pleae clarify?
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

See here C++ Applications
    Kevin