CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Projectors

Projectors

Is it possible, in C++, to send to a projector only what I want to send?

I.E. I have a window open, but I only want to send part of the window to the projector.

I realize this might be difficult, but I'm willing to accept a challenge.

I'm programming for Windows XP.

Re: Projectors

It's possible.

If you are asking what I think you are asking, then it's most likely a far bigger job than you realise, since you will need to rewrite parts of the driver for the graphics card (so that it transmits the full image to the screen, but only part of the image to the projector). Perhaps I have the wrong idea of what you mean though.

Also, if you use Vista, you could try the DWM Thumbnail API (see MSDN for details) with which you can establish a live connection between a source window and a destination window (that can be suitably placed on a secodary monitor, like a projector). I'm not sure, but maybe you can also gain direct access to frames data ...

Quote Originally Posted by PredicateNormative View Post
    It's possible.

If you are asking what I think you are asking, then it's most likely a far bigger job than you realise, since you will need to rewrite parts of the driver for the graphics card (so that it transmits the full image to the screen, but only part of the image to the projector). Perhaps I have the wrong idea of what you mean though.
    Well, what I'm trying to do is something like what http://openlp.org/ does. It shows a panel on the main screen, with information like the current slide and the upcoming slide, however, it sends to the projector only the current slide, which is what I would like to do. But it's written in Pascal.

So I don't think it should be too hard to do this...

The driver does give you a way to transmit a different output to each of the dual displays, so perhaps driver modification is not necessary. You will need to look at the Windows API and most likely some other material to figure out how to do it. It might take you more time than you think. Also bear in mind that your code may not be portable to other versions of Windows.
    Last edited by PredicateNormative; January 15th, 2009 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calc0000 View Post
    Well, what I'm trying to do is something like what http://openlp.org/ does. It shows a panel on the main screen, with information like the current slide and the upcoming slide, however, it sends to the projector only the current slide, which is what I would like to do.
    You can configure Display Settings to use your second monitor (projector) as a copy of the main monitor or as an extension.
    If you select “extension” – all you need to do is to move the window you want to be projected into that second monitor and, may be, maximize it.
    Vlad - MS MVP [2007 - 2012] - www.FeinSoftware.com
    Convenience and productivity tools for Microsoft Visual Studio:
    FeinWindows - replacement windows manager for Visual Studio, and more...

Quote Originally Posted by VladimirF View Post
    You can configure Display Settings to use your second monitor (projector) as a copy of the main monitor or as an extension.
    If you select “extension” – all you need to do is to move the window you want to be projected into that second monitor and, may be, maximize it.
    Well, what I actually want to try is to send completely original content to the projector, similar to openlp.org.

Quote Originally Posted by calc0000 View Post
    Well, what I actually want to try is to send completely original content to the projector, similar to openlp.org.
    Since you need to have a separate window for the second monitor, it doesn’t matter whether its content is original or not.
    Vlad - MS MVP [2007 - 2012] - www.FeinSoftware.com
    Convenience and productivity tools for Microsoft Visual Studio:
    FeinWindows - replacement windows manager for Visual Studio, and more...

Hello Calc0000,

I was curious if you were successful. I am trying to do the same thing.

Thank you.

Anyone got success with this? I am looking for the same thing

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Charles View Post
    Anyone got success with this? I am looking for the same thing
    For Windows XP?