CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: which loop is faster?

Quote Originally Posted by _uj View Post
    Well, this isn't a Java forum but that doesn't mean you can spread bullshit about Java without being corrected.
    And you could be a little more professional in your disagreements. You must be a joy to get along with.

Secondly, the OP mentioned "class file" and attempted to equate it to assembly language. That is where I tried to make the distinction between what a class file is and what assembly language is.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

There are more than one Java compiler vendor. IBM is one example. And Eclipse has it's own built-in Java compiler. But you would be wrong even if there were just one supplier of Java compilers. This is because also a Java compiler from the same vendor can differ between versions.

Well, this isn't a Java forum but that doesn't mean you can spread bullshit about Java without being corrected.
    Calm down, its just a programming language. I'm sure he didn't hurt its feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McKenzie View Post
    , you would constantly see computer ads saying "our compiler produces faster code than their compiler" with benchmarks to prove the advertiser's claim.
    I once heard the accusation that some compilers were specially optimised to run the common benchmarks at the time.
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong."
    Richard P. Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW@Wessex View Post
    I once heard the accusation that some compilers were specially optimised to run the common benchmarks at the time.
    Not only that, it was accused that some vendors would see what weaknesses the competing product would have in a certain benchmark, and would concentrate on only optimizing that benchmark. Then the charts they would advertise would show how their compiler completes task "x" in half the time of the competitor.

Not saying this was done all the time, but accusations did exist. That's why computer magazines at the time would have independent tests, so as to weed out or verify many of these tests done by the vendor.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Arrow Re: which loop is faster?

Quote Originally Posted by g.eckert View Post
    Wow that is an interesting feature( writing the assembly to file) ill have to check that out. thanks. I am kind of used to Java where i can actually see the .class file which is some sort of assembly language, right? But for C++ all i get is my .cpp file and the .exe.
    A book i read says "Don't second-guess the compiler". I see you are complaining about the compiler.

I think the wheel is loops (for, while, ...)
    Are we discussing what is the wheel made of?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McKenzie View Post
    Secondly, the OP mentioned "class file" and attempted to equate it to assembly language. That is where I tried to make the distinction between what a class file is and what assembly language is.
    And what exactly is the difference between the bytecode in a class file and "assembly language" in your opinion?

There is no difference. Bytecode is the assembly language of the JVM. You can even program in bytecode directly (like you can in any assembly language).

[Sid: Deleted irrelevant comment]
    Last edited by Siddhartha; March 4th, 2009 at 10:15 AM.

You said you wanted a professional assessment of your skills.
    You have really gone off the deep end. No one asked you for anything.
    [Sid: deleted irrelevant comment]
    After 25+ years in the business of writing commercial programs, I take your "assessment" with a grain of salt.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Last edited by Siddhartha; March 4th, 2009 at 10:16 AM.

[deleted abusive comment]
    Last edited by Siddhartha; March 4th, 2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Abusive use of forum

Quote Originally Posted by _uj
    [deleted abusive comment]
    Listen, knock off the personal insults. I've alerted the leader of this forum to this thread.

And no, I will not answer any questions from you. You've demonstrated you can't keep a conversation civil.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Last edited by Siddhartha; March 4th, 2009 at 10:14 AM.

[Cleaned]

Folks, be on the topic, don't get personal and don't get abusive.
    Don't react to people who are (just inform the mods, like you also did - thanks).

Regards,
    Siddhartha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12