CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

best way to learn programming

Hi everyone!

I'm in college right now and I've just started programming last semester (sept - dec 08) We were taught VB.net as our first language and I enjoyed it. This sem, (Jan 09 - Apr 09) we are currently learning Java (basics). We didn't do any hardcore OO in my VB.net course and were only introduced to some very very basic concepts. Right now, we are doing more OO in Java. Next sem, we are going to take C++ .. That's about all the major languages we're going to take for the diploma program aside from ASP, XHTML, etc..

Looking at job listing sites.. I've seen that proficiency in one language is definitely not enough and that .Net languages are really hot (C# & VB.net) these days. I just don't have any idea as to how I'm going to be effective in different languages (VB.net/Java/C++) with so little time. I feel like I need to get old first before I'll be proficient in those three.

I guess I'm saying that I'm overwhelmed right now. My question is do I try to learn like 2 or three all at the same time or do I master VB.net first then proceed to Java or C++ or vice versa? As to what I want to do in the future, I'm very interested in Windows development but then again, I think I have to be flexible.. Any advice? Thanks a lot!

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: best way to learn programming

In my experience the .NET languages (especially VB.NET) are most highly valued by potential employers (although it depends on the employer - I'm generalising here). Web development skills are valued almost as highly whereas languages like C, C++ and Delphi have fallen out of fashion (among employers - programmers still seem to rate them highly).

So if you're looking for a job as a programmer, C#, VB.NET and web development skills will probably stand you in the best stead.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

I see. Thanks John E!

As for learning though, do you suggest learning like two languages at the same time like for example VB.net & C# or 'master' one first to some degree before moving on to the other one?

Quote Originally Posted by Styx777
    As for learning though, do you suggest learning like two languages at the same time like for example VB.net & C# or 'master' one first to some degree before moving on to the other one?
    Learning a programming language is just one part of the deal. You also need to learn problem solving techniques and other programming related skills and paradigms that are not language specific (though they might be specific to a broad family of languages). Consequently, I would not advise learning two programming languages from scratch simultaneously since you may end up bogged down in details and thus miss the forest for the trees.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

VB.Net and C# are so similar, that you can easily do one or the other, but both at once can get confusing.

Pick one of them, and then maybe Java, and get good at both of them. Then, you'll understand AJAX and the WPF thing
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

If I'm not mistaken, C# has similar syntax to C/C++? How are they similar? Or are you referring to the way they are used and the fact that they both run under .Net framework?

We're actually taking Java now so I'll make sure I remember it

VB.Net and C# are moving closer with every release. You can do the same thing, with similar amounts of keystrokes, with either language, producing identical results.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Xeon is offline Want me to ban you?! Power Poster

For AJAX, I think it's a whole new ballgame together, though.
    To learn AJAX, you need to know JavaScript, which is simple, but the problem is with those XML, XLST (spelling?) and a lot of other X-so-and-so stuff.
    "Hell is calling for you!" - Rufus, from Valkyrie Profile 2 : Silmeria

"I'm getting tired of you devils.....finishing strike......Final Blast!" - Arngrim, from Valkyrie Profile 2 : Silmeria

Thanks for the input ..

Only problem I have now is that I guess I'll postpone studying more of VB.Net while we are taking Java now and C++ next semester. Sounds confusing..

Next semester, do I 'ignore' c++ though and only fulfill like course requirements rather than thoroughly study the language coz I think I'll only confuse myself. Problem is, there are only 3 months in each sem and we are only introduced to the most basics of those three languages. so I don't know what to master first and those things.. whew !

thanks for ur information because am beginner of studying computer..................

web design chennai

Xeon is offline Want me to ban you?! Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Styx777 View Post
    Only problem I have now is that I guess I'll postpone studying more of VB.Net while we are taking Java now and C++ next semester. Sounds confusing..
    You should postpone VB.net now cos' both Java and C++ are a lot more similar to each other compared against VB.net.

VB.net isn't a programming language; it's a programming platform and development environment.

Next semester, do I 'ignore' c++ though and only fulfill like course requirements rather than thoroughly study the language coz I think I'll only confuse myself. Problem is, there are only 3 months in each sem and we are only introduced to the most basics of those three languages. so I don't know what to master first and those things.. whew !
    Nobody can master 3 different programming languages in 3 months.
    If you can even get comfy with 1 programming language in 3 months, that's a great achievement.

In schools, what they teach are mostly appetizers.

Like you know, you go to a chinese restaurant and order a 10-course cuisine. The 1st dish will always be a plate of appetizers, like slices of duck meat, baby prawn covered in mayonnaise, deep-fry tasty meat balls etc.

They're not meant to fill your tummy; they're meant to whet your tastebuds and tummy for more good food coming up later.

In your case, it's the same. The teachers give you a brief introductory course, and when you graduate or when the semesters are completed or when the teacher has finished teaching the different languages, then you can go in-depth to focus on one language first, like C++.

What your school will teach you is "Jack of all trades but master of none".

You should strive to be "Jack of no trades but master of all".

Take this from a programmer (er-hem......me) who once coded 1/4 of the source code for Windows XP and Vista, and who acted as a consultant to programming legends Jeff Prosise and Charles Simonyi.

Nah, just kidding.
    "Hell is calling for you!" - Rufus, from Valkyrie Profile 2 : Silmeria

"I'm getting tired of you devils.....finishing strike......Final Blast!" - Arngrim, from Valkyrie Profile 2 : Silmeria

Sure. 5 million lines of Source Code for various OS's. Just stored away on your flash drive...
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP