CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Java, C++, and C#

Yes, yet another comparison thread. I googled and found lots of comparison charts, but I don't know any programming terms, so they were kind of useless to me. Could someone explain the pros and cons of these three in layman's terms?

Re: Java, C++, and C#

What are the general requirements of the program that you intend to develop?
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

I don't know yet.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Do you know how to program in any of the three?

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Do you know how to program in any of the three?
    I don't know any programming terms
    I hope that answers your question.

C++ is very low-level. You have to do your own memory-management and stuff (by default; there do exist garbage-collectors for C++, but they're not much used) and worry about the low-level implementation details of everything you write. It's mostly compiled to native code, although there is a .NET compiler for it, or a dialect of it, known as ‘Managed C++’. It's not very portable (when native). It's quite popular, though, and has some fairly good libraries to abstract away some of the tedium and non-portability. It is primarily an object-oriented extension to C, but that extension is, well, extensive, and even more has been built on top of it. It is mostly compatible with C: in general, valid C is also valid C++, and you can use C code natively in C++ (which is handy, since many many things use C, including all current popular operating systems).

Java is kind of like C++, but vastly simplified: it features garbage collection and some other stuff, and you're unlikely to have to fiddle with the low-level stuff involved in working with C++. It has a reputation for being slow, which is mostly undeserved these days, but it's still a bit slower than C++. It runs on the Java virtual machine rather than targetting native code, so you can (on the whole: some things aren't portable) run the same application on Linux, Windows, or OS X, for example, without recompiling or rewriting. However, it lacks some features of C++, like multiple inheritance and operator overloading, and its ‘generics’ are, I believe, less powerful than C++'s equivalent ‘templates’. It forces an OO coding style, at least insofar as possible.

C# is Microsoft's answer to Java, although, unusually, the specification is open and a free implementation exists as part of the Mono open .NET platform. It has, on the whole, more features and flexibility than Java, and it's gaining in popularity, although Java is currently still in the lead. It tries to bridge both worlds, giving the safety of Java by default but the low-level power of C++ when necessary. It also attempts to force OO coding.

Whatever language you use, it belongs to the same root.

For example, 2 languages C++ and C#, you might support C# today, but some time later you discover its buggy warnings/errors you have to choose C++ for your projects
    Remember that those warnings and errors are generated not really by your own faults. Whatever you opt to use, you are still a programmer of programming language!

Might also want to check out :

An Introduction to Microsoft F#

[ redirected ]

Regards,
    Siddhartha