CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Smile Recommend a C++ book? (specific criteria)

I'm looking to learn C++, (with a specific software project in mind, so sort of on-the-job training, which has always worked really well for me in the past.)

The thing is, I don't want to be tied in to Windows (or Visual Studio). And although I have a copy of Visual Studio, I'm actually happy writing code in a text editor (as I have for web development) and using a compiler like N/Ant. My biggest reason for not wanting to be tied in to MS/VS is that I want to write apps not just for Windows but also for Linux and Mac(/iPhone). I understand there will be some work in porting from one OS to another (and before someone suggests it, I'm really not interested in Java.)

I've looked for C++ books in Barnes & Noble, etc. and they all seem to fall into one of two categories:
    1. C++ fundamentals - but nothing about GUI programming
    2. Completely Visual Studio/Windows-centric

I'm sure I could cover all the bases with multiple books, but with the price of technical books, I just can't afford it.

So, can anyone recommend a (single) book that might meet my needs?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Re: Recommend a C++ book? (specific criteria)

In general, a programming language like C++ does not have much to do with a GUI technology.
    The latter is typically implemented using the former, and hence there are many GUI frameworks to choose from for some popular languages.

GUI programming is usually platform specific, unless you are using a platform-independent programming language like Java and a framework like Swing. However, again - even in that world of promised platform independence, the programming language itself (Java) and the technology that you use for UI programming (Swing) are two different areas of specialization.

Other run-time frameworks like .NET are Windows specific, and offer you a rich UI programming environment in Visual C#, WPF and the likes.
    But, this is not native C++ and is not platform independent.

If you are looking towards learning GUI programming and learning a programming language, you ideally need two books - one specializing in each.
    That will help you master both worlds.
    I'm actually happy writing code in a text editor (as I have for web development)
    What works with web-programming doesn't work for C++. If you were talking of JavaScript and the likes, you could use notepad not only because javaScript isn't compiled but probably also because the interpreter (browser) is available on every computer.

C++ is a sophisticated programming language (and not a scripting language that needs an interpreter). You are better off with a good development environment than using notepad to write your C++ applications. The environment will allow you to compile and debug your application, and would end up being an indispensable tool.
    Last edited by Siddhartha; April 21st, 2009 at 11:02 AM.

[ redirected ]

Regards,
    Siddhartha

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha
    What works with web-programming doesn't work for C++. If you were talking of JavaScript and the likes, you could use notepad not only because javaScript isn't compiled but probably also because the interpreter (browser) is available on every computer.

C++ is a sophisticated programming language (and not a scripting language that needs an interpreter). You are better off with a good development environment than using notepad to write your C++ applications. The environment will allow you to compile and debug your application, and would end up being an indispensable tool.
    That said, I do not see any mention of Notepad in Donny Bahama's post; a bare bones text editor like Notepad is not representative of the text editors available as programming tools these days. Some programmers are very productive which such powerful editors along with the use of sophisticated command line tools; others may augment these text editors with plugins and the like such that they are actually lightweight IDEs.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

Well, the point in my reply too wasn't notepad in itself, so why focus on it. The point as stated clearly was that text-editors (notepad or more sophisticated ones like UltraEdit) that work very well in web-development environments are not as suitable for C++ development. i.e. Someone from a web-development experience should not apply the same yardstick when it comes to development practices in a compilation and linker-based development environment like C++.

One could write VB Script or HTML or JavaScript pretty well in one of these text-editors, however, IMO efficient C++ development and debugging needs something more than what works for a scripting language. Additionally, it is going to need more convincing to sell the idea that programmers with an experience in web-development (scripting and likes) are going to be happy using a text-editor for writing C++ in combination with commandline based compilation, link and debugging tools when easier, better (and sometimes even cheaper) alternatives exist.
    Last edited by Siddhartha; April 21st, 2009 at 01:48 PM.