CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Making VB.NET OOP via Observer paradigm and easily adaptable to Test Driven Dev't

Wondering if someone could show me how to implement an observer pattern in VB.NET?

Currently I have a lot of working code in VB6 which the company wants me to migrate to
    VB.NET. Well, that would normally be straightforward ... yes? Unfortunately, not so
    in our case.... recently, our company decided that I need to modify it to implement
    the MVC (Model View Controller) paradigm to make it truly OOP and adaptable to
    TDD (Test Driven Development).

Currently, my move was to start with a simple one, opening a form and then grabbing a
    piece of text from a textfile and putting it as the caption of the form... now, that
    is easy.

The problem lies in trying to implement observer patterns ... in the observer pattern
    I cannot simply call the usual

me.caption = mytextstream.ReadLine

from the form_load event instead, I need to use objects that would use an interface to
    register themselves as observers as the form loads but not necessary having to be residing
    in the form_load event... in fact ... if there is somehow a way for me to make such a thing
    happen before the code goes through the form_load event then that would more completely
    separate the View layer from the controller layer which gets implemented through the use of
    observers and observer related patterns.

Im hoping that someone viewing this new thread might have come across it and please give
    me a clue how it can be done in VB.NET ... thank you so much for all the kind help you could
    give ... all suggestions welcome

Gratefully,
    Matt

Re: Making VB.NET OOP via Observer paradigm and easily adaptable to Test Driven Dev't

Each form is actually a class. And a class will have a constructor. You can put your code for associating an observer to the view in the constructor of the Form class.

Re: Making VB.NET OOP via Observer paradigm and easily adaptable to Test Driven Dev't

Thank you for this interesting concept ... I really appreciate it

Thanks again,
    Matt