CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Lightbulb Connecting to a fax line using Modem

Hi,
    I want to transfer data between 2 computer. the Receving computer has a fax modem.I tried to dial the receving computer from the send computer using Modem. The call is not getting estabished. I got an information that the telephone exchange wont allow data transfer to the fax line; ie the telephone exchange will cut the call when it see the data in fax line. Only fax data and voice call are allowed in the fax line. Is there a way to send the data making it look like fax data, so that the exchange wont detect that the data is not a fax data.
    Last edited by makdu; July 16th, 2009 at 01:37 AM.

Re: Connecting to a fax line using Modem

is there a way to send fAX from VB application

That doesn't sound right to me. They don't charge more for data thru a phone line, unless you want faster than 56K, in which case they offer DSL service.

A PST is a phone line, is a fax line, is a data line.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Thats the truth. extra amount has to be paid if data needs to be transmitted. They do this to block the usage of Internet using the phone line and they want to sell DSL service more

Just so you know there is no data transmitted until the connection is established. All that happens is the 2 modems go back and forth to try an find a baud rate, compression and such that both modems can agree on. Once this happens you get a connection and only then is any data transmitted.

Quote Originally Posted by makdu View Post
    Thats the truth. extra amount has to be paid if data needs to be transmitted. They do this to block the usage of Internet using the phone line and they want to sell DSL service more
    Not in this country. If you want slow Internet service that blocks out your phone while you're using it, what do they care? They still get paid for every time you use the phone.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

I have a server computer and 5 other client computers. I dial each computer using my VB application to send and receive files/data. It works fine with 3 of the client computer and other 2 , i am not able to get it connected. This two computer are connected to a fax line . So when ever i try to dial this two computer from server computer, the exchange detect it as not a fax data and drops the line. I Want to bypass this problem. Is there a way

I would suggest plugging the trouble pc into a different phone jack and see if the problem persists

Quote Originally Posted by makdu View Post
    I have a server computer and 5 other client computers. I dial each computer using my VB application to send and receive files/data. It works fine with 3 of the client computer and other 2 , i am not able to get it connected. This two computer are connected to a fax line . So when ever i try to dial this two computer from server computer, the exchange detect it as not a fax data and drops the line. I Want to bypass this problem. Is there a way
    Sounds like the answer is NO. Complain to your telco
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

I am just wondering why you think that the exchange is detecting a data connection and dropping the line. A fax signal is also a data signal btw though it is a bit different. I have never heard of such a thing but I have saw many instances where one would have trouble gettting 2 modems to connect especially when the modems in question are the cheaper soft modems. My guess would be that the problem resides in the modem or the init strings on the pcs giving the problems.

You can easily determine if it is the line or another problem by moving the pc to a different phone line, perferrably one where you have already had success with a different pc. If it works then you can safely say it is a line or jack issue. If it does not work then you need to look for a different problem.

If it is as you say and the phone company not allowing a data connection on the phone line you are using then basically what you are asking is for a way to rip off the phone company by getting a service that you are not paying for which of course would be illegal. What you need to do is either use a different line or pay for the correct phone service on that line.
    Last edited by DataMiser; July 19th, 2009 at 02:06 PM.

Post Re: Connecting to a fax line using Modem

Tried moving the 2 PC to other connection which was working and the result is that the call and data transmission is happening. So the problem is with the 2 lines only. As mentioed earlier, it has been identified as the telephone exchange is blocking the line when it see a data in the fax line.

One suggestion i got is to make the data transfer looks like that of FAX data and send it through the line and at the time of dialup, use the handshaking method used by fax line .

Can some body differentiate how the data transmission is different in fax and normal data send through Dialup

Depending on what you are actually doing, you may want to reconsider your whole approach to the data transmission problem.

Your current method has problems with perhaps fax lines or perhaps even firewalls if the destination computer is in a network.

When you connect to the destination computer, I presume you want to go to a predetermined directory and pull or send some files

To deal with this basic requirement, I often simply use a website, using an FTP prgram to upload and download the data files (NCFTP is an excellent and reliable FTP program)

By using the website as the "HARD DISK" of your client computers, you can create a directory for each computer on the website, and simply download the data from these (each client send data up at an agreed interval)

This will eliminate all possible problems of getting through to client computers through the various "WALLS" which can be placed in front of you

You will also find this to be faster and less prone to transmission problems

Once you play with NCFTP using the many examples provided you will wonder why you have been bashing your head against the brick wall for so long - its so simple and reliable to use

On the other hand, your managers may prefer your current approach, so I guess you would need a good helmet (LOL)

If the phone line does not allow data and ftp connection via the phone line would not work either.

If the computers are networked then the winsock control is a much better choice than MSComm, very easy to use, built in protocol only need a few lines of code.

Quote Originally Posted by George1111 View Post
    On the other hand, your managers may prefer your current approach, so I guess you would need a good helmet (LOL)
    I need a good helmet . Has to find a way to send the file, not through FTP .
    Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    If the computers are networked then the winsock control is a much better choice than MSComm, very easy to use, built in protocol only need a few lines of code
    I have asked for this option. But will take time to get it done. Still insisting to find a way through fax line

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast