CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Difference in performance between CSharp and C++

Is there any difference in performance between CSharp and C++ if I am writing network programming in these two language??

Re: Difference in performance between CSharp and C++

Yes. There's also a difference between two apps written in C++.

Will you notice or care? An educated guess would say "probably not".
    www.monotorrent.com For all your .NET bittorrent needs

NOTE: My code snippets are just snippets. They demonstrate an idea which can be adapted by you to solve your problem. They are not 100% complete and fully functional solutions equipped with error handling.

for me this feature that c++ allows default arguments on function parameters is good also.
    Please rate my post if it was helpful for you.
    Java, C#, C++, PHP, ASP.NET
    SQL Server, MySQL
    DirectX
    MATH
    Touraj Ebrahimi
    [toraj_e] [at] [yahoo] [dot] [com]

I think C++ is more faster in performance than C# as it does not contain more graphics and other framework libraries that .NET provide you...

Quote Originally Posted by vcdebugger View Post
    I think C++ is more faster in performance than C# as it does not contain more graphics and other framework libraries that .NET provide you...
    The quantity of pre-written libraries which are available to use has no affect on performance.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ricom/archive/...10/416151.aspx

Read the entire article. It's an implementation of a chinese-english dictionary in C++ and C#. C# gave better performance for a *lot* less coding effort. After serious (unmaintainable) optimisations were applied to the C++ version, it was able to complete the task in 80ms whereas the initial C# version completed in 120ms or so. The slightly optimised C# version could complete the task in < 100ms.

Moral of the story. No single language is 'fastest'. It all depends on the algorithms you use.

NOTE: My code snippets are just snippets. They demonstrate an idea which can be adapted by you to solve your problem. They are not 100% complete and fully functional solutions equipped with error handling.

It's like asking "which car is better". The end result will always come down to the driver
    It's not a bug, it's a feature!

Quote Originally Posted by foamy View Post
    It's like asking "which car is better". The end result will always come down to the driver
    That's a much better way of putting it

Just as an aside...

C# apps will always have a slightly longer startup time, but the JIT compiler can apply optimizations for the machine that the application is currently being run on. The C++ compiler has to be far more general because it compiles the program to native code, so it has to run (practically) anywhere. Like the others have said, anyone who says something like "C++ is faster than C#" doesn't know what they are talking about, and in your case it would likely not even matter if one were slightly faster than the other.