I`m trying to pass a const char* paramater to a templatized class
    for example:
    template<const char* param>
    class A
    {
    };

When I create new instance of A<"bla"> I get a compilation error:
    invalid expression as a template argument for 'param'

Is there a way to pass a string constant as a template argument?

Re: Passing a string constant as a template argument

the string you are passing as a template parameter needs to have external linkage and be named. You would need to explicitly declare a variable for the string

const char[] bla = "bla";

now use

A<bla>
    Wakeup in the morning and kick the day in the teeth!! Or something like that.

"i don't want to write leak free code or most efficient code, like others traditional (so called expert) coders do."

You could also use the "multibyte character constant" trick, with the caveat that the maximum string length is implementation defined.

anyway, if your compiler implementation supports 4-byte characters (if I remember well, this is equivalent to sizeof(int)==4) you could write

Code:
    template <int name>
    class A {/**/};

//...

A<'bla'> x;

Quote Originally Posted by souldog View Post
    the string you are passing as a template parameter needs to have external linkage and be named. You would need to explicitly declare a variable for the string

now use

A<bla>
    I have a problem with defining it that way, because I`m using it in a header file - so there might be multiple definitions of the same thing, and it is going to lead to linkage error. What can I do?
    I mean, I use something like this:

myheader.h:
    template<const char* p>
    class A
    {
    };

char[] bla = "bla";
    class B: public A<bla>
    {
    };

can I avoid the problem of redefinition of bla ?
    Last edited by Regel; October 2nd, 2009 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Regel View Post
    I have a problem with defining it that way, because I`m using it in a header file - so there will be multiple definitions of the same thing, and it is going to lead to linkage error.
    Yourheader.h
    Code:
    #ifdef GLOBAL_DEF 
    #define EXTERN_DEF
    #else
    #define EXTERN_DEF extern
    #endif
    //...
    EXTERN_DEF char whatever[10];
    //
    And in one and only one CPP module:
    Code:
    #define GLOBAL_DEF
    #include "YourHeader.h"

// the rest of the code
    See how that works? In only one module will there be a global, while the other modules that will include yourheader.h will have it defined as extern.

The trick is that only one module has the #define GLOBAL_DEF at the top of the source file. The other modules that will include "yourheader.h" won't have GLOBAL_DEF, so it will make "whatever" an extern variable.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Thank you Paul.
    Another question:
    Regarding to what souldog have said, I didn`t understand why the template paramater needs to have external linkage. Can you explain what makes it so crucial?

instead of using the preprocessor tricks Paul has mentioned you can just place the declaration in an anonymous namespace to solve the linker problem. That is one of the things anonymous namespaces are for

namespace
    {

}

"i don't want to write leak free code or most efficient code, like others traditional (so called expert) coders do."

template parameters must have external linkage to avoid multiple instantiations of a template class across translation unit boundaries

souldog, I`m a person that loves to understand how things work. How does the anonymous namespace avoid the linkage errors behind the scences?
    EDIT:
    I think I`ve grapsed it, is this because namespace has external linkage by default, and const char[] has an internal linkage by default. then you combine both of them to prevent redefinition?

and I haven`t realized yet why without external linkage there might be multiple instantiation of a template class accross translation units? may you give me an example?
    Last edited by Regel; October 2nd, 2009 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by souldog View Post
    instead of using the preprocessor tricks Paul has mentioned you can just place the declaration in an anonymous namespace
    Yes.

If the OP really insists on having "true" globals, the preprocessor trick is one way to keep the variables as global and have them easily maintained (source code wise) to some capacity.

Mind you, I rarely, if ever, use globals in my own code. I haven't used that preprocessor trick in over 15 years.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie