CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Help with C# console application

Hello,
    I need help with creating a console application on C# If somebody can help I will be very thankful! Here is my exercise:

The action of a Caesar cipher is to replace each plaintext letter with one a fixed number of
    places down the alphabet. This example is with a shift of three, so that a B in the plain text
    becomes E in the cipher text. In cryptography, a Caesar cipher, also known as a Caesar's
    cipher, the shift cipher, Caesar's code or Caesar shift, is one of the simplest and most widely
    known encryption techniques. It is a type of substitution cipher in which each letter in the
    plaintext is replaced by a letter some fixed number of positions down the alphabet. For
    example, with a shift of 3, A would be replaced by D, B would become E, and so on. The
    method is named after Julius Caesar, who used it to communicate with his generals.
    American Standard Code for Information Interchange (ASCII) is a character encoding based
    on the English alphabet and it is included in UNICODE standard. ASCII includes definitions
    for 128 characters: 33 are non-printing, mostly obsolete control characters that affect how text
    is processed; 94 are printable characters (the space is not printable). The ASCII character
    encoding is used on nearly all common computers, especially personal computers and
    workstations.
    Develop a static class with two methods, one for encoding and one for decoding. Both
    methods take a string as parameter and return the processed string. You develop an algorithm
    that substitutes a given character with one with 4 places down in alphabet and another that
    decodes the ciphered text. Create a Console application that tests your methods.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Help with C# console application

No one here is going to do your homework for you.

It has been seen thousend of times that its no help to do your work for you. In real life you need to do your job and nobody can do it for you. If someone does the work for you, you will not be able to see your own problems, you will not be able to learn of your mistakes and you will stay unable to solve this easy and bigger problems in future. Cheating alwasy is cheating yourself.
    Jonny Poet

To be Alive is depending on the willingsness to help others and also to permit others to help you. So lets be alive. !
    Using Code Tags makes the difference: Code is easier to read, so its easier to help. Do it like this: [CODE] Put Your Code here [/code]
    If anyone felt he has got help, show it in rating the post.
    Also dont forget to set a post which is fully answered to 'resolved'. For more details look to FAQ's about Forum Usage. BTW I'm using Framework 3.5 and you ?
    My latest articles :
    Creating a Dockable Panel-Controlmanager Using C#, Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7

The solution is already given, you just need to write the code. Just write it.
    Develop a static class with two methods, one for encoding and one for decoding. Both
    methods take a string as parameter and return the processed string. You develop an algorithm
    that substitutes a given character with one with 4 places down in alphabet and another that
    decodes the ciphered text. Create a Console application that tests your methods.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

I've got the answer. I solved this very one last night.

I had to do a project similar to this once. This requires a little more work, but you can make an array with the ACSII Codes and reference the array. You can use google to find a list that is easily formattable for putting it in an array in c#.

Good Luck.
    - It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n' roll - AC/DC

Check out my band and support the music:
    www.blueruinmusic.com