CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Restore Database from a Remote Backup

Good Day All

am restoring a Database Programatically in Sql. Now if the backup is located in the remote machine i use a Share

\\Vuyiswa\MyShare\

but i will get the Following Error

Exception caught in: ExecuteStoredProc: The file "\\Vuyiswa\Databases\\REmoteTest33.mdf" is on a network path that is not supported for database files. File 'TNGoedit_Data' cannot be restored to '\\Vuyiswa\Databases\\REmoteTest33.mdf'. Use WITH MOVE to identify a valid location for the file. The file "\\Vuyiswa\Databases\\REmoteTest33_log.ldf" is on a network path that is not supported for database files. File 'TNGoedit_Log' cannot be restored to '\\Vuyiswa\Databases\\REmoteTest33_log.ldf'. Use WITH MOVE to identify a valid location for the file. Problems were identified while planning for the RESTORE statement. Previous messages provide details. RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally. Database 'REmoteTest33' does not exist. Make sure that the name is entered correctly.

Thanks
    Few companies that installed computers to reduce the employment of clerks have realized their expectations.... They now need more and more expensive clerks even though they call them "Developers" or "Programmers."

Re: Restore Database from a Remote Backup

I have never tried it with code, however you can try using the devices rather than directly giving the location. Something similar to this
    Code:
    USE master
    GO
    RESTORE DATABASE MYDATABASE   FROM TAPE = '\\Vuyiswa\MyShare\'