CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Odbc data source....

Good afternoon everybody, i want to ask something, i want to connect to database using the visual studio menu Tools - > Connect to database... i want the data source to be odbc... i made it some days before but i formated my pc and i don't remember how i did it... the reason to do this is because if i use Microsoft SQL Server Database File (SqlClient) the config file will store the password to connect to the database... but with odbc it will store only dsn=mydsn.... please help me

Re: Odbc data source....

Not really an ideal way of doing it. You should use the SQLClient rather than ODBC. What is wrong in storing the uid/pwd in config file? If you are concerned about security, same things can be done with DSN too. All the person needs to know is how to connect using a DSN, thats all.

i want to do it because with uid/pass on config all people will know the password but if they see dsn they could not find out the password, the dsn will be pre-configured by me in each pc....

I have never tried this, but you can check "Microsoft ODBC Data Source (ODBC)" in the options that you get when you click on Connect to database.

yes i know, i made it in another pc but now it hasn't that option on connect to database.... i wonder how to make it display there in order to select it...