CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Innovation from Microsoft

Okay - I was asked this question and I wanted to pass it along to see what any of you added. The question -- or rather task -- should be simple. Name three innovations that are from Microsoft that could be considered disruptive (game changing).

I'd be curious to see what you name. Before scrolling down and reading other people's answers, think about this and be honest about what you would name. Remember, they should be game changing.

Can you name three?

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Re: Innovation from Microsoft

Bing
    Office 2007
    Vista

If I understood correct, Game Changing implies, something that has changed the goalposts, IMHO, the above named 3 changed everyone's opinion about Microsoft, including mine, negatively

Quote Originally Posted by HanneSThEGreaT View Post
    Bing
    Office 2007
    Vista

If I understood correct, Game Changing implies, something that has changed the goalposts, IMHO, the above named 3 changed everyone's opinion about Microsoft, including mine, negatively
    I should have worded things better in my post because I used the word "Innovative" as well. My focus was towards where Microsoft has innovated. None of these were really innovative, and none really are changing the market. In fact, all three were pretty much "followers" of other people's technology..... (in my opinion)

I'll give an example of one of the few things I think fall into the category. That is XBox Live. This is something that did seem to come from Microsoft. More importantly, it totally changed how people interact and approach online gaming. Not only did it allow people to play games with each other, but it allows people to totally interact at a worldwide level. The continued extensions of the service have truly changed gaming and social interaction to some extent.

If you consider XBox Live one innovation from Microsoft that had major impact, then the question remains as to what would two others be.....

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

DOS
    Windows
    .Net

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    DOS
    Windows
    .Net
    Good answers -

Actually, didn't they buy DOS initially and then go from there? As to Windows - did they innovate or did they steal, err get, the idea from others? Was it Microsoft innovation?

.NET - I agree with this one.

Even if you include DOS and Windows, that would take you back nearly 2 decades. Maybe I should have added "in the last decade"

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones View Post
    Good answers -

Actually, didn't they buy DOS initially and then go from there? As to Windows - did they innovate or did they steal, err get, the idea from others? Was it Microsoft innovation?

.NET - I agree with this one.

Even if you include DOS and Windows, that would take you back nearly 2 decades. Maybe I should have added "in the last decade"

Brad!
    DOS and Windows were revolutionary. It's it important that the original DOS code was purchased? Had it not been purchased, would we have ever heard of it? Similar for Windows. Microsoft is who brought it to market and developed it into what it is today. I can't see anyone else getting the credit.

For something more recent, how about Visual Studio development environment?

For a specific area of technology, how about XmlSerialization? If you haven't heard, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I must be losing my mind because I've forgotten the best and the latest technologies. WPF(xaml), WCF, and Workflow. All under .net, but world's apart from .Net 1.0.

And finally. LINQ.

intellisense?
    ribbon?
    c#
    directx
    Last edited by memeloo; December 14th, 2009 at 03:53 PM.
    win7 x86, VS 2008 & 2010, C++/CLI, C#, .NET 3.5 & 4.0, VB.NET, VBA... WPF is comming

remeber to give feedback you think my response deserves recognition? perhaps you may want to click the Rate this post link/button and add to my reputation

private lessons are not an option so please don't ask for help in private, I won't replay

if you use Opera and you'd like to have the tab-button functionality for the texteditor take a look at my Opera Tab-UserScirpt; and if you know how to stop firefox from jumping to the next control when you hit tab let me know

I think they did SURFACE http://www.microsoft.com/surface/ first

I thought you meant disruptive in a negative sense.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

I should have worded things better in my post because I used the word "Innovative" as well. My focus was towards where Microsoft has innovated. None of these were really innovative, and none really are changing the market. In fact, all three were pretty much "followers" of other people's technology..... (in my opinion)
    Ah, OK I see, sorry about my confusion

I'd say the following :

The BASIC Language
    .NET
    Windows Mobile

Do not name .NET anywhere here, it is totally influenced by Java.

Surface idea is too sort of copied from you know where. Linq is surely a fair innovation, but it does not change the game that much.

Innovative is the Windows OS, they surely did change the game a lot, Windows Programming Model is tooo great than any other OS.
    Regards,
    Ramkrishna Pawar

Quote Originally Posted by Krishnaa View Post
    Do not name .NET anywhere here, it is totally influenced by Java.
    Maybe so, but .Net has transended Java. In terms of features and tools, .Net is way ahead of Java.

I agree that .NET transends what existed before and changed the industry. Look at the number of people using .NET today and that indicates that it was a game changer.

As to BASIC -- that was actually obtained from Alan Cooper, who created it. Not Microsoft

Windows mobile? I have to ask... are you joking? Windows is so far behind in the mobile space it isn't funny. Apple is blowing them away and Google (Android) is jumping ahead as well. Word on the street is that mobile 7 is slipping to late next year. I think mobile is an area where Microsoft has been scrambling to catch up and if they don't do something that is innovating soon, they will be out of the game of front runners.... but that is just my opinion
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

DirectX is a good addition.

Feel free to think outside of programming as well. I think you'll find it harder to name things....
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Feel free to think outside of programming as well. I think you'll find it harder to name things....
    Awesome MVP water bottles from a few years back?

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Maybe so, but .Net has transended Java. In terms of features and tools, .Net is way ahead of Java.
    I agree, it sure is a game changer, but not innovative at all.
    Regards,
    Ramkrishna Pawar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast