CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Last Post (FAO: Brad)

To Microsoft's credit, backwards compatibility has always been high on its list of priorities - which isn't something you can say about Apple. And yet I've definitely noticed that its OS's and browsers do seem to grow increasingly unreliable over time, which isn't something I've observed with its other applications, such as Word or Excel. Having said that, I can tell by the lack of response to that post that this must be something unique to me.

The VC6/VC8 thing that Arjay mentioned is more complex though. When I first started using VC++ I used MFC exclusively. But these days, one can't afford to ignore other platforms and that means having to look at alternative GUI technologies, such as QT, GTK or wxWidgets. Gone are the days when these (equally cumbersome) technologies needed to be built from source. The open source library community has (finally) embraced the practice of doing it "the Microsoft way" and providing developers with pre-built library packages c/w header files.

But if my experience is anything to go by, the pre-built Win32 binaries are invariably behind the times and are rarely compatible with anything later than VC6 or (increasingly now) VC8. So one has to retain those older compilers or use kludgy gcc tools such as MinGW or Cygwin. It's a tricky choice - but on balance, give me Microsoft developer tools any day!
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post
    we removed the feature because some userswho post from work did not want evidence of what they post on their work machines. In addition, we weren't having loading problems like we used to, so the feature was deemed unnecessary. Thanks
    You mean because they are not allowed to post from office? I think if that's the case then they really shouldn't be posting from office. Or in the worst case, they should know where that file gets stored and should be able to go and delete that file manually.

Disabling a useful feature from CG or for that matter any other website for such a reason doesn't seem like a good justification. But I might not be knowing all the details that you/CG might have had while taking the decision. Just a thought.

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

I must admit, I agree with the above. If company policy forbids them to use sites like CodeGuru, then they shouldn't use them - or get ther company policy changed.

JPync - you're absolutely right to say that it would be better to devote some time to tracking down the reasons for the crash but that was the view, last time. Unfortunately, the crash was never repeatable enough to be reproducible. For example, it hasn't happened to me at all during the past week. And yet other times, it'll happen 2 or 3 times per day. My guess is that a lot probably depends on the site loading (i.e. number of users online) so it's never going to be a simple problem to track down. Someone will probably discover the reason by accident one day. Until then, do we just have to put up with it?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

I noticed some slowness in the typing of the recent few messages here as well. The longer the text goes, the slower it happens. (speed at which I see the letters appear on the message text box than the typing). I am using IE8, Vista Ultimate (all with latest updates) and mostly I use the Quick Reply option. I was fearing IE would crash and hence did the Cntl-A, Cntl-C trick - wasn't needed but still...

Could have been some add on those specific previous pages (as am not getting that felt for this message) and the CPU usage had temporarily gone 100%. It's ok now without a crash though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12