CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thumbs up Can I use PHP to change the color of a text field when the user clicks it?

If you have a HTML form and have a text field that when the user clicks on this so that its the one which the user can input data in is there a way of PHP changing the color of the background of the text field?

I would like to find a solution designed in PHP.

If it is possible can someone please provide some example code and an explanation on why it works?

Thanks!!

Re: Can I use PHP to change the color of a text field when the user clicks it?

PHP is a server-side language. The onclick event is on the client-side. Using PHP would be a ridiculous implementation because it would require client-side scripting to communicate with the server-side PHP and then the server-side PHP would have to tell the client-side to change the color.

All that to say...use the client-side!

Code:
    <textarea ... onclick="this.style.background='#ffff00';"></textarea>
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Quote Originally Posted by PeejAvery View Post
    PHP is a server-side language. The onclick event is on the client-side. Using PHP would be a ridiculous implementation because it would require client-side scripting to communicate with the server-side PHP and then the server-side PHP would have to tell the client-side to change the color.

All that to say...use the client-side!

Code:
    <textarea ... onclick="this.style.background='#ffff00';"></textarea>
    Actually you will get better speed out of change the class name and letting CSS change the style then the change the style direct (except in opera), but again a client side issue.

http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/classchange.html

Quote Originally Posted by Roguebfl View Post
    Actually you will get better speed out of change the class name and letting CSS change the style then the change the style direct (except in opera), but again a client side issue.
    Yes and no. If you are changing multiple styles of the element, then yes. But, changing just the background, there's really no speed difference. In this case, if you're just changing the color, it would be more work and page load time to have two extra defined classes in the stylesheets.

[ moved ]

Question Why does this CSS not work?

I want to change the background color when the user clicks a input field and not all input fields on my form. I want to complete all of this using an external style sheet.

I created some css but its not working! - any ideas on how to accomplish this using external style sheets?

here is the css code :
    Code:
    .form
    {
    input:focus
    {
    background-color:#FF6666
    }
    }
    here is the html code:

Code:
    <html>
    <link href="form.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
    <body>
    <table cols="2">
    <form name="form1">
    <tr>
    <td class=form><input name="txtName" size="30" class="form"></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td> <input name="txtSpace" size="30"> </td>
    </tr>
    </form>
    </table>
    </body>
    </html>
    Last edited by PeejAvery; December 28th, 2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Added code tags.

[ merged threads ]

Your CSS tags are improperly nested.

Code:
    .form input:focus
    { background-color:#FF6666; }

And here goes a complete solution how to change attached css dynamically: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/alternate/
    Wanna install linux on a vacuum cleaner. Could anyone tell me which distro sucks better?

I had a nightmare last night. I was dreaming that I’m 64-bit and my blanket is 32-bit and I couldn’t cover myself with it, so I’ve spent the whole night freezing. And in the morning I find that my blanket just had fallen off the bed. =S (from: bash.org.ru)

//always looking for job opportunities in AU/NZ/US/CA/Europe :P
    willCodeForFood(Arrays.asList("Java","PHP","C++","bash","Assembler","XML","XHTML","CSS","JS","PL/SQL"));

USE [code] TAGS! Read this FAQ if you are new here. If this post was helpful, please rate it!