CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Parsing a string programmatically(C#)

Hi,

How to parse this string?
    config = "<configuration><screen fadetimeout=\"0\" font=\"Courier New\" fontsize=\"11\" linesize=\"4\" theme_color1=\"-1518056\" theme_color2=\"-9674238\" /></configuration>";

into:
    config = "<configuration><screen fadetimeout=\"3\" font=\"comic\" fontsize=\"12\" linesize=\"3\" theme_color1=\"-1513356\" theme_color2=\"-967538\" /></configuration>";

Thankx

Re: Parsing a string programmatically(C#)

Looks like XML, why not using the XML methods from .NET to access the values?

I cannot see the difference. Despite that, the second one doesn't appear as parsed the first one at all. What is your goal?
    • Make it run.
    • Make it right.
    • Make it fast.

Don't hesitate to rate my post.

Please provide a better explanation of what you're trying to accomplish. Your example data does not show parsing at all- it just shows two different strings of XML code.

how do you like this?

Code:
    int newFadetimeout = 3;
    string config = "<configuration><screen fadetimeout=\"0\" font=\"Courier New\" fontsize=\"11\" linesize=\"4\" theme_color1=\"-1518056\" theme_color2=\"-9674238\" /></configuration>";
    config = Regex.Replace(
    	config,
    	"(fadetimeout)=\"(\\d{1,})\"",
    	delegate(Match match)
    	{
    		return (match.Groups[1].Value + "=\"" + newFadetimeout + "\"");
    		//return (match.Groups[1].Value + "=\"" + (int.Parse(match.Groups[2].Value) + 2) + "\""); // or increase by 2
    	});
    win7 x86, VS 2008 & 2010, C++/CLI, C#, .NET 3.5 & 4.0, VB.NET, VBA... WPF is comming

remeber to give feedback you think my response deserves recognition? perhaps you may want to click the Rate this post link/button and add to my reputation

private lessons are not an option so please don't ask for help in private, I won't replay

if you use Opera and you'd like to have the tab-button functionality for the texteditor take a look at my Opera Tab-UserScirpt; and if you know how to stop firefox from jumping to the next control when you hit tab let me know

Because the data looks like XML, I would recommend to handle them as XML: create a XML document from them and than use XPath or LINQ to XML to manipulate it. But I still miss the intention.
    • Make it run.
    • Make it right.
    • Make it fast.

Don't hesitate to rate my post.