CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Learning C++

Learning C++

Hi
    I would like to learn c++ but not in a way that everyone else usually does.
    I have previous coding experience (mainly with php)( visual basic a long time ago)
    When I went through the some of the basics of c++ it was quite simple to understand.

However what I really want to do is to learn how to code for windows (eventually trying to code for xbox)
    Yet I dont want to go through all the boring tutorials.
    What I think will help me learn best is learning by example. Something like a tutorial where they teach how to make something simple like a calculator.

I'm just asking if any of you would know something of this kind, like a book or a website or anything else that teaches in this manner.

Thanks

Re: Learning C++

I myself am just learning C++ through a book, but I picked up a few different books and 2 of them look like what your asking for.

they're called "Microsoft XNA Game Studio Creator's Guide: An Introduction to XNA Game Programming" and "XNA Game Studio Express: Developing Games for Windows and the Xbox 360"

The 2nd one comes with a disc that has all the programs needed on it, and also has lots of tutorials that show you how to code a game, and the finished product on the disc along with details on how to do it.
    Not exactly sure if thats what your after, but I would look up your local library (Thats where I picked mine up from" and see if they have a copy of it, then you could decide from there.

Do u want to review basic of c++ means follow the link, it will surely help to u

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial

Thanks
    sona

Quote Originally Posted by ankhmor View Post
    However what I really want to do is to learn how to code for windows (eventually trying to code for xbox)
    If you want to cut the crap and do something challenging immediately you could download the DirectX 11 SDK and start fiddling with the examples that comes with it. But remember that this way of learning can be very frustrating so don't say I didn't warn you.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...6-651cbd28ca15

Here's another link for Microsoft games development,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/sv-se/xna/default(en-us).aspx
    Last edited by nuzzle; April 16th, 2010 at 12:39 AM.

If you think tutorials are boring, then the question is, do you really want to learn something. It sounds to me that you are asking us for a shortcut. In programming, shortcuts don't exists.

Hi
    I would like to learn c++ but not in a way that everyone else usually does.
    I have previous coding experience (mainly with php)( visual basic a long time ago)
    When I went through the some of the basics of c++ it was quite simple to understand.

What I think will help me learn best is learning by example. Something like a tutorial where they teach how to make something simple like a calculator.

I'm just asking if any of you would know something of this kind, like a book or a website or anything else that teaches in this manner.

Thanks
    I suggest hiring a professional developer doing the work for you. It sounds to me that you are trying to run before being able to walk. Developing for the XBOX is not like boiling water. There are a lot of concepts and technologies that are fairly complex and involve a steep learning curve.

Jumping into the middle of it because the basics are that boring is a sure recipe for frustration and bad software later on.

Since you already seem to have some experience, take a look at 'Accelerated C++' which essentially teaches you the basics of C++ based on previous programming knowledge....

Thanks everyone for your comments
    Thing is I'm not trying to find a shortcut. I just can't learn without a challenge.

Thing is I'm not trying to find a shortcut. I just can't learn without a challenge.
    The challenge is to learn

C++ is not challenging in itself? What do you know about the language library? Containers, algorithms, templates? What about the basics? What is the rule of 3? How do you overload the subscript operator properly? etc.

Maybe you should go here:

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

C++ is a big language with complex rules. There are ways to leverage the C++ libraries to simplify programming somewhat, but the language itself is not something that isn't challenging to learn. This isn't PHP or VB, where you can get by with a few weeks of learning and a cheat sheet of commands to get a "nice looking" program working. C++ doesn't work that way.

Secondly, if you want a challenge writing a "calculator" program, you don't need fancy graphics. How about this:

Write a program that takes a mathematical expression and outputs the answer. The expression consists of +, -, /. *, and parentheses. The order of operations is to be followed.

Example:
    Enter your expression: 2*3
    Answer: 6

Enter your expression: (3+4)*(2-7)
    Answer: -35

Enter your expression: 2+4*3
    Answer: 14

Before you start writing fancy GUI's to do a calculator, you have to know how to solve basic things such as the above. So you have two learning curves -- using the C++ language properly, and you have to know how to solve such a problem, regardless of the language you are going to use.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Last edited by Paul McKenzie; April 18th, 2010 at 05:42 PM.

Afraid it seems like you are. The more alerting thing is that you don't tell learning C++ from programming on Windows platform. Those are two totally different aspects, and you may be sure you have no chance to pass by boring tutorial things on both.
    Best regards,
    Igor

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Hi
    What I think will help me learn best is learning by example. Something like a tutorial...
    Thanks
    Maybe it's just me but

Quote Originally Posted by GCDEF View Post
    Maybe it's just me but
    It's almost ironic!