CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: FTP Issues

FTP Issues

Hi friends, I have learned enough to send and receive data between two computers via TCP protocol. I would like now to use this knowledge to move a file between them, however I still don t know very much about the structure of a file (of any extension: txt, doc, exe, pdf, )

Could you please tell me how can I split a file in its more elemental parts to send it as a String of characters?

Thanks in advance

Re: FTP Issues

however I still don t know very much about the structure of a file (of any extension: txt, doc, exe, pdf, )
    You don't need to know what kind of a file it is. All files are just binary data, so if you know how to send and receive data, you can also send a file.

Could you please tell me how can I split a file in its more elemental parts to send it as a String of characters?
    You can't send or receive binary data with a CString, because a CString is text.

So what is the function I have to use to open or display all the binary content of a file?

Regards

You can use a CFile object to read a block of data and use a CSocket to send the data to the other side. Repeat this process until the complete file is send.

Here is a example on how to do that.

Thanks a lot. I´m going to look at it right now..

Quote Originally Posted by Skizmo View Post
    Here is a example on how to do that.
    The code at that link doesn't work and should not be used (for proof, read all the comments that say "doesn't work" or "large files are corrupted" or "can't open transferred file").

For a sample of code that works, together with an explanation of why the linked-to code does not, see "Network Transfer Of Files Using MFC's CSocket Class" at http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/Soc...eTransfer.aspx

Exclamation Re: FTP Issues

The code at that link doesn't work and should not be used (for proof, read all the comments that say "doesn't work" or "large files are corrupted" or "can't open transferred file").
    Oops ... Googled for an example, didn't really check the comments or anything. Thanx for correcting me.

Thanks a lot guys Iḿ now in the right way.