CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question download and install vc++ 6.0

Hi,
    i have vb6.0 software installed in my pc now i also want visual c++ 6.0 .
    can any one plz tell me from where can i download visual c++ 6.0 and how should i install it.

thanx in advance.............................

Re: download and install vc++ 6.0

If you don't have a registered copy of VS 6 you need to buy it. Visual Studio is not free. But if you want to buy it, I advice you to buy a newer version. VC6 is almost 11 years old.

Actually, VC6.0 was initially released in 1998, so it's fairly 12 years old. And considering VC4.2 compiler core it's based on, the thing looks even more outdated.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Ditch those old vb 6.0 and c++ 6.0 -- they are old, obsolete, and somewhat buggy.

You can get VB.NET Express and VC++ version 2010 express free for the downoading from Microsoft. You can also get free C# Express and MS SQL Server Express. All these are a lot better than what you have now. The only problem with vc++ express is that it does not come with MFC, but if you don't want that then it's not a problem afterall.

You can get VB.NET Express and VC++ version 2010 express free for the downoading from Microsoft.
    Yeah, and the reason why they are free is that it's crippleware. All versions of VS express are crap AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizmo View Post
    Yeah, and the reason why they are free is that it's crippleware. All versions of VS express are crap AFAIK.
    Well then I guess you don't know diddly. The express version uses the same compiler as all other versions. The difference between versions is the add-on stuff, not the compiler. If you aren't writing GUI prorams then the Express version is just as good as the other editions.

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

And you can write GUI programs just fine if you use a framework other than MFC.

... and it has no resource editor

Like I said, if you don't want to do GUIs ... But that shouldn't be a problem if you download one of the free resource editors and resource compilers, from here for example.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Depending on the language you're coding in the Express versions may work fine.

Personally, I've never been hung up on the express versions not having all the features.

I view purchasing a full version as a necessity of being able to do my job, especially since I program in several different languages using multiple technologies.

I can't imagine using some cobbled together environment that can't do half the things I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizmo View Post
    ... and it has no resource editor
    For dialog based app this works great:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cpp/re...px?msg=3102372

Plus you can easily install the 7.1 sdk to do native 64 bit apps right out of the ide using vc++.
    I have vc++ 6 but I prefer the real time lint in this IDE. It needs a few more horses to run it but I have a 64 bit machine with 8 GB ram. Might as well use it.