CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Is there a way to change the nickname?

I don't like my nickname, is there a way to change it... or to move the pretty green boxes to a new account?
    win7 x86, VS 2008 & 2010, C++/CLI, C#, .NET 3.5 & 4.0, VB.NET, VBA... WPF is comming

remeber to give feedback you think my response deserves recognition? perhaps you may want to click the Rate this post link/button and add to my reputation

private lessons are not an option so please don't ask for help in private, I won't replay

if you use Opera and you'd like to have the tab-button functionality for the texteditor take a look at my Opera Tab-UserScirpt; and if you know how to stop firefox from jumping to the next control when you hit tab let me know

Re: Is there a way to change the nickname?

The kind of thing that seemed like a good idea years back?

Only an admin can change that, though it was done very seldom.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Sorry, no, the user names are not changeable. We would only change a username in extreme circumstances and only with brand new users. Sorry.
    Online Community Manager

I have been always wodering why isn't it normally possible. I can't think of any sensible reason for that and now I mean this in general not this particular forum. the first time I saw this functionality was e_b_a_y (why is this forum filtering this word out?). it's the only place I know where you can change your nickname whenever you desire. I must say I think it's a really stupid regulation please don't tell me that in the real life I couldn't change my name... this is not real life so why keep all real life "laws"

but I understand, if you changed my nickname you'd have probably thousands of such requests. it should be a standard function and not an exceptional favor.
    Last edited by memeloo; December 10th, 2010 at 02:10 PM.
    win7 x86, VS 2008 & 2010, C++/CLI, C#, .NET 3.5 & 4.0, VB.NET, VBA... WPF is comming

remeber to give feedback you think my response deserves recognition? perhaps you may want to click the Rate this post link/button and add to my reputation

private lessons are not an option so please don't ask for help in private, I won't replay

if you use Opera and you'd like to have the tab-button functionality for the texteditor take a look at my Opera Tab-UserScirpt; and if you know how to stop firefox from jumping to the next control when you hit tab let me know

That's one reason yes, but a more important one is that nobody would know who they were dealing with on the forum, particularly the moderator crew. The whole idea of a nickname is to have an identifier on the forum which, while it is not your real name, you do become associated with it.
    Online Community Manager