CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question How do you write applications in c++?

I think I know c# pretty well and I'd like to try some c++ but I wonder what frameworks do you use for writing windowed c++ applications? I've heard about boost, stl (I used this one already in mixed mode c++/cli) win api and mfc. is there anything else? I have only a vague notion of the c++ world. I've also heard about the VS Feature Pack with plenty of additional controls. is it worth learning or do you prefer something else?

which technology/framework would you choose for example to write a chatting application or a CAD or a webbrowser or a wysiwyg editor?

what's most popular nowadays?
    win7 x86, VS 2008 & 2010, C++/CLI, C#, .NET 3.5 & 4.0, VB.NET, VBA... WPF is comming

remeber to give feedback you think my response deserves recognition? perhaps you may want to click the Rate this post link/button and add to my reputation

private lessons are not an option so please don't ask for help in private, I won't replay

if you use Opera and you'd like to have the tab-button functionality for the texteditor take a look at my Opera Tab-UserScirpt; and if you know how to stop firefox from jumping to the next control when you hit tab let me know

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: How do you write applications in c++?

I don't know about CAD nor chat/WEB applications (I never developed such types)... but about Framework used here - it's MFC.
    Victor Nijegorodov

If developing applications for Windows, MFC is the most popular C++ framework, as Victor already stated.

Also, ATL is often used, as well as its extension WTL.

Visual C++ Feature Pack extends the MFC library.
    It can be installed in VS2008 and is already included in VS2008-SP1 and VS2010.
    Last edited by ovidiucucu; December 13th, 2010 at 04:41 AM. Reason: added links
    Ovidiu
    "When in Rome, do as Romans do."
    My latest articles: https://codexpertro.wordpress.com/

ok, then I think I'm going to start with MFC
    win7 x86, VS 2008 & 2010, C++/CLI, C#, .NET 3.5 & 4.0, VB.NET, VBA... WPF is comming

remeber to give feedback you think my response deserves recognition? perhaps you may want to click the Rate this post link/button and add to my reputation

private lessons are not an option so please don't ask for help in private, I won't replay

if you use Opera and you'd like to have the tab-button functionality for the texteditor take a look at my Opera Tab-UserScirpt; and if you know how to stop firefox from jumping to the next control when you hit tab let me know

Quote Originally Posted by memeloo View Post
    ok, then I think I'm going to start with MFC
    That's a wise thought.
    Ovidiu
    "When in Rome, do as Romans do."
    My latest articles: https://codexpertro.wordpress.com/

I would rather start with c++ and Qt for developing windows apps tbh.
    Last edited by Amleto; December 14th, 2010 at 02:27 PM.

STL and boost are NOT frameworks. They're class libraries. They offer a number of ready made classes that will help you develop complex applications, but they don't offer anything towards actually getting any form of visual UI.

MFC is an application framework, and so is Qt. Both have their pro's and cons. Some types of programs may be easier to make in MFC while other may be easier to make in Qt.
    And Even beside MFC and Qt, there are several other app frameworks to choose from. Some frameworks cater more towards bussiness type applications while others cate more towards graphical applications or even specific towards games.
    Which is best really depends on what you're tryign to do.

We use MFC, though we've wrapped a lot of the components both to add more useful functionality and to make them play better with the STL.
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong."
    Richard P. Feynman