CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

UpdatePanel and network problems

Hi guys,

In my webapp I'm using several UpdatePanel controls. Today I noticed that if there's no network connection, I doesn't do anything. If you hit a button inside the panel, the page doesn't refresh (offcourse), but it would be great if some kind of error would be shown.

Is there any way to achieve this? Because now users think that the button isn't working..

Re: UpdatePanel and network problems

Quote Originally Posted by dannystommen View Post
    Hi guys,

In my webapp I'm using several UpdatePanel controls. Today I noticed that if there's no network connection, I doesn't do anything. If you hit a button inside the panel, the page doesn't refresh (offcourse), but it would be great if some kind of error would be shown.

Is there any way to achieve this? Because now users think that the button isn't working..

I didn't get fairly what is your issue; but what problem to launch Fiddler and look at server response? Or if this error occasioned on dev machine catch one in global.asax
    No miracles

Well, the problem is dat a collegeau had a problem while try to use the search button. She said "I kept trying to click the search button, but it didn't result in anything"... She had that problem at home, but it's the same laptop as she is using at work.

I don't have any logical explanation for it. The only thing I had in mind was that she had some connection problems.

I tried to reproduce the issue doing the following:
    - I started my website in VS2010 in IE (default browser).
    - Next I opened the same page in FF.
    - Then I stopped the VS2010 Webserver (not stopping in VS2010, but right click the webserver in the bottom right-corner.
    -When I now click the search button, I got exactly the same result she told me, nothing happend..

In this case the 'webserver' is offline, but I believe this is the same behaviour when the internet connection is down.

So, something like 'unable to connect to server' would be nice if something like this is happingen instead of doing 'nothing'. If the button wouldn't be in an update panel, the browser would show ' Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage '.

I hope clarifacation helps..

Launch Fiddler and look at a server response

Yes, I'll try Fiddler to see the response.