CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

vector<string> help needed

Hello,

I have a "vector<string> stringVec"and here is what I want to do:

Read 10 messages from stringVec[0] to stringVec[9]. Then remove these and move stringVec[10] down to stringVec[0] and so forth. Also, if there is less than 10 message just read them all and empty the vector. Can someone help me with sample code to do this?

Thanks!

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: vector<string> help needed

You'd be better off with a std:eque<std::string> since that has a pop_front() method.

You can do this with a vector, but it will be less efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindley View Post
    You'd be better off with a std:eque<std::string> since that has a pop_front() method.
    Maybe it's not necessary to actually pop and move stuff. You could try simply std::copyying the data in and out (from the end to the begin of the vector).

I'm not sure whether the cost of copying std::string would be greater than processing the container itself. I guess it's about trying and experimenting...

Quote Originally Posted by ltcmelo View Post
    You could try simply std::copyying the data in and out (from the end to the begin of the vector).
    I doubt that would be any better than using the vector's erase() member to move stringVec[10] and all the following items down to stringVec[0], implementing what the OP described. (In a single (!) call to erase(), of course.)
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by lab1 View Post
    Read 10 messages from stringVec[0] to stringVec[9]. Then remove these and move stringVec[10] down to stringVec[0] and so forth. Also, if there is less than 10 message just read them all and empty the vector.
    That sounds like a job for std::queue rather than vector.
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong."
    Richard P. Feynman