CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

shell from aspx page to local EXE

Hello

On a web server i have an aspx page which calls an EXE, waits, gets the result and sends it back to the user through the browser.

command_line= "lsrunas.exe /user:Administrator /password*** /domain:myPC /command:""d:\onair\tts_app\tts.exe /f:" & FileName & " " & Text & """ /runpath:""d:\onair\tts_app"""

tts.exe produces an mp3 file which contains synthesized speech based on the given text. lsrunas.exe is the known utility to run the exe as another user.

Shell( command_line, True )

If i run the 'command_line' from the Start->Run menu (its win xp pro), then the EXE works ok.

But when it runs through the aspx page and Shell, it produces an error and terminates. Sorry i cant recall the error code (something like 0x400...) but in a little search i did it has something to do with DLL initialization, the app cant start correctly.

As i said, the 'command_line' (as given from me above) works ok using the start->run dialog.

So i am pretty sure it has something to do with Rights. This service made from me a year ago, it worked then after lot of headaches, but now after a new windows installation i cant remember what i did to make it work.

Can someone help?
    - Better live in the digital world -

Re: shell from aspx page to local EXE

I don't understand. If you're saying your webpage called a program outside of the domain, it wouldn't work. The source and destination would be in IIS settings
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

No, the EXE is inside the domain, the folder 'd:\onair' is declared as 'wwwroot'.

A year ago as i said i managed to make it run, but with that new windows installation and iis , some of the settings lost.

Can you tell me how to tell my aspx application that it can run everything as Administrator and not as a simple aspnet user? Where to change this?

Thanks.

Not sure, but not likely. This might be an issue:
    Code:
    /domain:myPC
    Or, your IsRunAs.exe. Never heard of it, but there are other options that could possibly work.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

if i copy-paste the 'lsrunas.exe.........tts.exe......" to the Start->Run and click OK, the command line runs successfully.

Look for Elevate.vbs
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Also look into the permissions of the folder holding the Application...

Specifically the Execute permission for IIS_USER ...
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.