CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] Hierarchical controls?

I'm looking to achieve the following. Display a database of quotations that can be categorised (sorted in a hierarchy) - 1 to 3 levels of collapsible/expandable categorisation. Such as:

(I had to put in "----" characters to show the hierarchical layout as this forum trims spaces)

-Wilde, Oscar
    -----London
    -----------"There's only one thing worse than being talked about, and thats..."
    -----------"She had one of those english faces that once seen was never remembered"
    -----New York
    -----------"I have nothing to declare except my genius"

-Shaw, Bernard
    ------London
    -----------"The tragedy of man is that he is a genius tethered to a dying animal"

The above shows 2 levels of categorisation by Author and City.

I'd also like to display columns to the right to display additional attributes such as Date, Book, etc. Like in a spreadsheet style.

The columns and categories should be able to be specified by the user at run time i.e. not a fixed layout. Ideally, I'd like the categories to be indented but would settle for having +/- controls to indicate an expandable/collapsible category.

I've searched the forums for info on grid controls but am not sure if the above is possible. I would be delighted if this can be achieved with standard .NET controls but am prepared to invest in a commercial custom control if necessary.

I'm reasonably experienced in Java but new to the C# and .NET world. Thanks in advance to the clever good-looking and charming people who respond and give me a shove in the right direction.

Tom

Re: Hierarchical controls?

have you considered a Treeview?

Thank you. I have found an article that combines the features of a treeview and a listview that seems to give me what I need.

http://www.codeguru.com/csharp/cshar...eeListView.htm

Good work sir. I have given you some points, why? Well, because you did a huge effort yourself, and you have searched through CodeGuru's articles.

Well done

Just remember to mark your thread resolved if you feel your issue has been solved.

Hannes