CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

valarray and math.h

Hi, I'm using valarray in my Visual C++ 2010 program. I'm also using two non-valarray math features. First is sqrt - not the one in valarray (its argument is a double not a valarray). I've included valarray header file in the program while I haven't included math.h. The compiler doesn't complain about sqrt and the program runs fine. Then I needed to use the constant M_PI which is defined in math.h. I thought since the compiler wasn't complaining about sqrt, it somehow included math.h, so I should be able to use M_PI. But I get an error for that. The compiler doesn't know M_PI. Is my assumption that math.h is included in my program correct? Is it possible that sqrt that I'm running comes from somewhere else (complex header file)? Do I need to define something else to enable using this constant even if math.h is included? May be the more important question is what's the relationship between valarray, math and complex? I would really appreciate your response. Thanks!

Re: valarray and math.h

I don't think that M_PI is standard C++. Try putting the following
    at the top of your code (but after #include "stdafx.h")

Code:
    #define _USE_MATH_DEFINES

Thanks Philip for your reply. I did what you said but it didn't work. In math.h there's a comment saying that _USE_MATH_DEFINES must be defined before math.h. I defined it before including any other header file in my main C++ file but after stdafx (also before stdafx just for testing) to make sure that it is defined before math.h, and I still didn't get the result. I think I still need to play a bit more with this. Thanks again!

Check if you are including math.h inside of stdafx.h.

If you are, you need to put the #define inside of stdafx.h, before including math.h. Otherwise any include of math.h after stdafx.h is ignored (as the file has already been included).

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

You can do something like

Code:
    #ifndef M_PI
    #define M_PI 3.14159
    #endif
    in your own header file you want.