CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Lightbulb Stress Test Computer

Hi there,

I've been programming Java for several years now and I've come to a point where I'd like to do some new things with Java.

I want to start a project where I try to stress test several components of the pc (i.e. CPU, memory, disk). The thing is I do know how to develop applications with Java but this kind of thing is new to me.

I did find some information about Loadrunner and The Grinder which could help me but maybe there is another solution because I'd like to develop this application without the need of other software.

Can somebody point me to the right direction how to get started.

Thanx in advance,

Sander

dlorde is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Stress Test Computer

Sounds like a case of Maslow's Hammer. Java really isn't well-suited to dealing directly with hardware - in fact, it's explicitly designed to abstract you from the HAL and isolate you from the hardware, CPU, memory, and disk particularly. Java's caching, buffering, garbage collection, etc., make it problematic.

Far better to use a native language, such as C/C++ (or for Windows, one of Microsoft's), and talk to the OS APIs directly. Horses for courses, and all that.

It is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...
    Abraham Maslow
    Please use [CODE]...your code here...[/CODE] tags when posting code. If you get an error, please post the full error message and stack trace, if present.