CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

MFC MDI Modeless Dialog

Hi,

I'm still grasping the idea behind MFC architecture, and I have a doubt:
    using MFC library on a MDI solution, I want to create a project that provides the user with multiple document capability as well as modeless dialogs always on top that allow the user to change properties of the document which is currently on focus, in a similar fashion to IDE of Visual Studio, where one may have several documents at the same time and change its properties from a single Property dialog. The main question is: how can I create this kind of "property dialog"? Is it a modeless dialog? Is it a new document for which only one instance is permitted?
    I hope I've explained myself. Thanks in advance.

Re: MFC MDI Modeless Dialog

I want to create a project that provides the user with multiple document capability as well as modeless dialogs always on top that allow the user to change properties of the document which is currently on focus, in a similar fashion to IDE of Visual Studio
    So stay away from MDI.
    MDI was a kind of template for Windows 3.1. It is very old, and it was not designed for the kind of things you want to do. MDI is almost never used anymore. Instead, manage your own windows. You will have much more freedom and power to design a good user interface.

MDI was a kind of template for Windows 3.1. It is very old, and it was not designed for the kind of things you want to do. MDI is almost never used anymore.
    Excuse me ? Where did you get this 'whisdom' from ? A lot of applications use MDI. I don't even know how to build a decent Multi Document environment without a MDI framework. Why would a build my own MDI-framework ?

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Another approach is to use a dockable window.

If you are using a recent version of Visual Studio (2008 or 2010), check out the dockable windows support in the MFC feature pack.

For earlier versions, see this code guru article http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/W-D/dock...icle.php/c1451.