CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Looking for Collaboration Software

So we've recently formed a team of 4 people at my company and we're looking for some software we can use to collaborate with each other. The software needs to allow us to upload/download files, post discussions in a forum-like environment, and possibly have a live chat function. Does anyone know of some software that would be good for this? We would reeeeaaally like to host it ourselves on our own server, but so far we've only found Microsoft SharePoint Foundation and it's a bit pricey for us. Comments? Suggestions? Thanks!
    R.I.P. 3.5" Floppy Drives
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Re: Looking for Collaboration Software

Many of the project hosting services available may suit your needs, though you may need to use a separate instant messaging service for the live chat function.

For example, Bitbucket offers a free plan for up to 5 users. The bug tracker could work for the discussions around proposed features too.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

Thanks! We currently use Yahoo! messenger for our live chat functionality, so it was just a feature that we thought would have been nice to have baked in. But it's not necessary. We use FogBugz for our bug tracking software, bit if BitBucket has a bug tracker we may switch to that just for simplicity sake. I will check it out
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by RaleTheBlade
    We use FogBugz for our bug tracking software, bit if BitBucket has a bug tracker we may switch to that just for simplicity sake.
    If you are already using FogBugz then there is probably no need to switch unless you find it too expensive since the code hosting aspect of project hosting services like Bitbucket can be met by Kiln.

Well currently we're using the free version of FogBugz which has support for 2 users. If we want to have more than 2 users, we will need to purchase a subscription. We don't have a problem paying for something like that, but for our company conversations and such we were really looking for something we could securely host ourselves. They didn't like the idea of FogBugz because it puts a little bit of sensitive software information onto the web which they weren't really ok with. Basically they don't like the idea of storing any company information on 3rd party servers, they're sort of an*l like that It sure makes finding a viable solution for collaboration a real hassle, though! Like I said, the best solution I've found so far is Microsoft SharePoint Foundation. But I can't quite justify the price tag of ~$3,000 for it (new server hardware, a copy of Windows Server 2008, and the actual SharePoint Server software.) So I may just be stuck up a creek without a paddle

Quote Originally Posted by RaleTheBlade
    They didn't like the idea of FogBugz because it puts a little bit of sensitive software information onto the web which they weren't really ok with. Basically they don't like the idea of storing any company information on 3rd party servers, they're sort of an*l like that It sure makes finding a viable solution for collaboration a real hassle, though!
    Oh, in that case, all project hosting services are out. You could try free project hosting software though, some of which are derived from the software running the various project hosting services. GForge and Launchpad come to mind, though I have no idea how easy are they to setup and configure in practice. There are also free bug tracking, wiki, forum, instant messaging server, etc, software available.

Thanks, I will relay what I've found to them. If they don't like what I can come up with, then they will either have to deal with it or change their tune. I can't make bread from nails, haha.