CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] CR runtime installation problem

I installed the CR runtime, version 13.0.2.469, on a Win 2003 server. The installation program eneded with a success message. When I try to run my application, I get an error that assembly "CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine" of the same version cannot be found.

I uninstalled the runtime and reinstalled, this time using Process Monitor to trace. What I found is that there are errors in a number of "Createfile" operations, such as for the engine dll above. The error indicates "Path not found" for "c:\windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL".

I have no experience with the GAC, but when I examine it in Windows Explorer, there is no subfolder named "GAC_MSIL". Since the folder (which I think is a virtual folder) is read-only and cannot be made writeable, even with my Admin ID, what can I do to correct this problem? Also, I don't understand why the installation program for the runtime would have believed it was successful when the core assemblies couldn't be written.

Question Re: CR runtime installation problem

On another site I found out that the folder GAC_MSIL can be found via run...cmd. I found the folder, which contains subfolders for each Crystal Reports component. What I still don't understand is how to make this visible to my VB.NET code, which says that "crystaldecisions.crystalreports.engine" cannot be found. I installed the VS2010 version of Crystal on my PC, the same version as the runtime on the server (13.0.2.469). I changed all references to CR in my code to this version number and reset IIS on the server.

What do I need to do to make it find the Crystal assemblies?

Resolved Re: CR runtime installation problem

I've finally solved the problem. There were two issues:
    1. The CR runtime installation installs all files into the General Assembly Cache (GAC), but my custom VB.NET/ASP.NET program couldn't find them there. When I copied the entire set of Crystal folders and DLLs from under folder GAC_MSIL in the GAC to the 'bin" folder for my app, my program was able to load them. This step was not needed, for some reason, in the previous version of CR used with my app.
    2. There are apparently two "obsolete" assemblies that were referenced in my prior version that don't exist in the new version, "CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.Framework" and "CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.Infostore". I had to remove those two assemblies from the "assemblies" folder of my app's Web.config file.