CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Transfer Video from DVD to PCIe

Hi,

Beginner windows programmer here (plenty of embedded experience, but from what I can tell not much of it applies).

Anyway, I have developed a PCIe add-in card that has the capability to display HD video (basically a custom graphics card). I would like to create a demo where I play a DVD on the host, and I transfer that video stream over the PCIe bus and display via my custom hardware.

I have a little windows driver experience, and I think I can create a driver that will allow me to DMA a video frame buffer from the host to the PCIe card. What I am struggling with is - how do I get that data from the DVD, decode it and put it into a shared frame buffer.

I imagine Windows must have APIs for reading/decoding DVD but I have no idea where to look or start. I am looking for the easiest and fastest way to do this using C++. Should I be looking at DirectX/3D or is there some other library that would be better for this task?

Thanks!

Re: Transfer Video from DVD to PCIe

first buy a movie dvd; preferably one without decss reqs.

dvd contents is encrypted on disc so you may not be able to do a simple copy-paste w it. if you can do it, you have one thats already decss`ed

streaming dma data in windows has some channels that are protected and you cant put your finger in it. for example i wish to decrypt mpeg2 contents in hdtv broadcast but ... msdn ask me to send double reff to a decoder output, input et all, called pins to do a fifo wit contents

ps. please share your project file because i wish try solder a few ic`s myself
    ========================================================================
    free icecream on the house,click hard rock cafe