CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

What "shareware" stands for

This came from a diferent thread where Robdun and I have had a bit of discussion about a (lecit) message he posted.
    Now, last up is a bit of debate on "shareware" meaning.
    ----------------------------------------

@ Robdun:

I read the thread better and I understood you were (mainly) right, so I restored the thread as it was but, about tantolabels, this is what I will allow:
    www(dot)tantolabels(dot)com
    Barcode Label Printing
    It does not mean other mods will accept it: it might even be the c++ mod will ask you to delete the reference to tantolbl.

Regards,
    C.

ps: about the componet being shareware or not, it is mainly a matter on what
    we (you and I) can call "shareware". To me a "30-day free of charge trial" is a shareware even if it could be fully functional for 30 days. I do not pretend this to be the "correct" meaning of that word, only do not take it as disregarding.
    Last edited by Cimperiali; May 9th, 2012 at 07:42 AM.
    ...at present time, using mainly Net 4.0, Vs 2010

Special thanks to Lothar "the Great" Haensler, Chris Eastwood , dr_Michael, ClearCode, Iouri and
    all the other wonderful people who made and make Codeguru a great place.
    Come back soon, you Gurus.

Re: Printing Code 128 C barcode using C++ code interacting with OPOS Common Controls

Hi

So anything this has a 30-day trial period is "shareware", how about Adobe Acrobat, In-design, Illustrator, Microsoft Office, Expression etc, these all allow download and free of charge trial period of 30 or sometimes 60 days.

I suppose what you mean is if it's not Microsoft, Adobe, etc then it's junk

Regards

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Cimperiali View Post
    @ Robdun:

I read the thread better and I understood you were (mainly) right, so I restored the thread as it was but, about tantolabels, this is what I will allow:

It does not mean other mods will accept it: it might even be the c++ mod will ask you to delete the reference to tantolbl.

Regards,
    C.

ps: about the componet being shareware or not, it is mainly a matter on what
    we (you and I) can call "shareware". To me a "30-day free of charge trial" is a shareware even if it could be fully functional for 30 days. I do not pretend this to be the "correct" meaning of that word, only do not take it as disregarding.

Re: Printing Code 128 C barcode using C++ code interacting with OPOS Common Controls

Who said shareware is jiunk?

Shareware
    (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    Not to be confused with scareware.

The term shareware (also termed trialware or demoware) is proprietary software that is provided to users without payment on a trial basis and is often limited by any combination of functionality, availability (it may be functional for a limited time period only), or convenience (the software may present a dialog at startup or during usage, reminding the user to purchase it; "nagging dialogs").
    [...]
    Shareware is usually offered either with certain features only available after the license is purchased, or as a full version but for a limited trial period of time.
    [...]

The term shareware is used in contrast to retail software, which refers to commercial software available only with the purchase of a license which may not be copied for others; public domain software, which refers to software not copyright protected; open-source software, in which the source code is available for anyone to inspect and alter; and freeware, which refers to copyrighted software for which the developers solicit no payment (though they may request donations).
    ...at present time, using mainly Net 4.0, Vs 2010

Special thanks to Lothar "the Great" Haensler, Chris Eastwood , dr_Michael, ClearCode, Iouri and
    all the other wonderful people who made and make Codeguru a great place.
    Come back soon, you Gurus.

Re: What "shareware" stands for

This Is a touchy subject, and here is my take on it...

Shareware : A Limited trial or Functionality of a Product, that is freely available (via consent of the developers), which anyone can redistribute within limitations (Do not Charge for the product, Do not modify the original distribution package).. Think AVG, Dr Nortons..

the Next step is..

Freeware : A fully Functional (no limit) product, that may or may not have "Nag Dialog's", or advertising ... Again anyone can redistribute within limitations (Do not Charge for the product, Do not modify the original distribution package).. Think winzip, winrar ..

And further down the line...

Open Source ... (no need to explain this one.)

Now back to the original Discussion..

Robdun, You obviously are linked to the tantolabels site and software. (your profile has you down as a 'director').

The posts you made is an obvious Solicitation and Advertisement for your own product..

to solicit orders or trade, as for a business:
    and the Aceptable Usage Policy (that you agreed to when registering) has a Clause...

AUP
    You will not post advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or solicitations. You will not, furthermore, collect personal information for the purpose of sending any advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or solicitations through other means (email, messaging programs, etc.).
    99% of the times moderators here remove the post completely, and ban the user. Uncle Cimp was been kind to you in terms of he's left your post live and simply unlinked you site at the end..

This site literally has hundreds of SEO (Search Engine Optimizing) users register a month, that make only a few Posts with links to other site's hoping that the good name of CodeGuru will help BOOST their Search Rankings..

As for the Harmless Link
    Also the urls were harmless, Seagull Scientific's Bartender Software is NOT shareware, its very high-end labelling software and costs thousands for multi-printer licences.
    Could also be considered Advertising and solicitation.

The Problem here is that as site Administrators and Moderators we walk a very fine line between blocking the spam, Solicitation, Advertising, and General BS that some can post, and the Genuine User that is offering help. And all too often is becomes extremely difficult to differentiate the two..

Just as an example of what we combat here.. this is a Google search of a User that we banned because of posting duplicate threads on this forum. While a valid question. he's posted the exact same thing on over 100 other forums..
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.