CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

pointer to member function

Hello,

I am trying to use "remove_if" with a predicate function inside a class. The code intends to remove the grid cells which an agent cannot move into (from among all possible cells).

Code:
    void classname::function1()
    {
    vector<MoorePoint> neighbors;
    neighbors.erase(std::remove_if(neighbors.begin(),neighbors.end(),&classname::cannotMoveIn), neighbors.end()); 
    }

bool classname::cannotMoveIn(MoorePoint mp)
    {
        return !mp.inGridNotOccupied;
    }
    That code would work if it was not in a class and the predicate was not a member function. However, now I receive long error messages which I guess refer to incompatibility of remove_if template with the predicate parameter (one error includes : error C2064: term does not evaluate to a function taking 1 arguments).

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?

Thanks.

Re: pointer to member function

Re: pointer to member function

Quote Originally Posted by sarmadys View Post
    That code would work if it was not in a class and the predicate was not a member function. However, now I receive long error messages which I guess refer to incompatibility of remove_if template with the predicate parameter (one error includes : error C2064: term does not evaluate to a function taking 1 arguments).
    That's because member functions have an implicit first argument, which is the this pointer. So, to call a member function, you need an instance of the class to call it on.

Given that your function does not use any class members you can also make the function a static member, or use a global function (possibly in an anonymous namespace), or use locally defined function object - see below -, or use a lambda function if your compiler supports it.

Code:
    void classname::function1()
    {
        vector<MoorePoint> neighbors;
        //....
        struct {
            bool operator ()(const MoorePoint& mp) const {
                return !mp.inGridNotOccupied;
            }
        } cannotMoveIn;
        neighbors.erase(std::remove_if(neighbors.begin(), neighbors.end(), cannotMoveIn), neighbors.end()); 
    }
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky