CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Marketing mysel

Wink Marketing mysel

I am thinking of registering a domain and having my local telecom company host my website in which I would like to post my CV (programs I created, tiny programming tips I discover as well as borrow from other sites) . I have some questions,

1. What do you think about what I am doing ? [do you think I should or is that just stupid of me, unnecessary things to do , I mean ?] You know I don't know what shoud I post and what should I not show off on websites, this is what I would like to know.
    2. I am thinking to ask my HSP (hosting service provider) to store my sites in ASP.NET instead of PHP, this way I have my own domain to learn and test ASP.NET skills for more real than doing so with only localhost. What do you think ?

3. Thank you.

Re: Marketing mysel

this way I have my own domain to learn and test ASP.NET skills
    You can easily create your own test/debug environment at home to learn your skills. On your own website I would choose the language that best fits the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizmo View Post
    You can easily create your own test/debug environment at home to learn your skills. On your own website I would choose the language that best fits the job.
    Many _traditional_ employers will deny his skills if acquired *at home*.

Quote Originally Posted by thefollower View Post
    Yes, but that is a mistake made by employers, but you can't fix their opinion. I am a selftought person and have written in more then 10 totally different languages, and currenty in my job, I can't find a person who can truly beat me. So the argument of *at home* is completly invalid. My opinion is more like, if you think that what I've learned at home isn't good enough, then you aren't worth my time.

Quote Originally Posted by thefollower View Post
    That is a big problem.. To combat this i followed up with a MCSE study (at home) in 2000, and then a Advanced SQL 2008 study (after hours) to at least provide some sort of certification that i know what i'm talking about ....

like you say 'Traditional' employers always look for *Proof* of knowledge, and nothing beets paper work that can be looked at and discussed with others on the board....
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.