CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Recent CS graduate wanting tips on next steps in career

I majored with a Bachelor's in Computer Science in 2010. Been working for a very small company since Nov 2010. Pay is good, but I feel like I could do better (~$58K in Dallas,TX), but I really do love my job for now.

My question to all you who have been in the field for a while: What should my next move be? I want to further myself in my career, and want to know a good way to start. Honestly, I will say that my coding skills suck, and I don't think I can get into a good master's program (my GPA was ~2.8). I'm good at my job, but we simply code in C and C# and don't really do anything complex.

I was thinking looking into the security type of jobs, but I honestly don't know much about it. Something like a professional hacker. If I were to do that, I've heard that getting various related certificates is the way to go.

I would like to further my education with a Master's, but I'm afraid my low GPA will prevent me from getting a decent education. Now that I've got some real world experience, I really think taking more CS classes would do wonders for me. It was really hard for me to grasp a lot of things during my Bachelor's, just because I was not applying it yet.

One thing that someone recently advised me, which sounds smart, would be to learn Mandarin. That sounds like it would be a very wise move for the future (I'm 26 now, so I have a lot of time left in this field).

Anyway, just wanted to know some pointers as to what I should do from here on out. I've honestly felt like I've wasted these 2 years at my current job. I mean, I've got some solid experience under my belt, which helps a lot. It was hard landing my first job without some solid experience, so the job alone will do wonders for me, but I feel like I need to be doing something outside of work to further my education.
    Last edited by dpatel304; July 5th, 2012 at 04:38 PM.

Re: Recent CS graduate wanting tips on next steps in career

Hi, I just came back from an iOS interview. Right after I sat down for it, he asked me to speak in English introducing myself. I made a long oral essay and right after I finished he said "sorry, your English is so good I can't accept you, we need to know your real experience in iOS because Objective-C is not C or C++" ***!

I can't believe why such a low level IT manager is hired !

Quote Originally Posted by dpatel304 View Post
    It was really hard for me to grasp a lot of things during my Bachelor's, just because I was not applying it yet.
    A sign of any good programmer is that they program, and not just what they are paid for, but just for fun as well. If you weren't applying what you learned during your studies, then maybe you should ask yourself if you really like programming or if it's just a good way to make a living.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpatel304 View Post
    One thing that someone recently advised me, which sounds smart, would be to learn Mandarin. That sounds like it would be a very wise move for the future (I'm 26 now, so I have a lot of time left in this field).
    Learning something that is totally unrelated to what you want to achieve sounds like a great way to improve your career changes.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

Quote Originally Posted by D_Drmmr View Post
    A sign of any good programmer is that they program, and not just what they are paid for, but just for fun as well. If you weren't applying what you learned during your studies, then maybe you should ask yourself if you really like programming or if it's just a good way to make a living.
    I definitely could have done more outside of my studies, as well as during my first few years of work, but I didn't. I regret it, but I'm trying to change it now, and I'm just looking for some direction from the more experienced people in my field.

Learning something that is totally unrelated to what you want to achieve sounds like a great way to improve your career changes.
    It was a simple question. I have been reading forums containing people in the field, and a few of them said that knowing Mandarin could be a great asset to have.

Just, FYI, the job that I landed right now I got because of my exceptional speaking/writing skills. Those skills are not really related to my programming skills, but it set me apart from other candidates, and landed me the job, so, although Mandarin is not directly related to programming, I do realize that for certain jobs you have to be more than just good at one thing.

Theory. That is theory of management and people evaluation by "sense" (sense of responsibility, sense of teamwork cooperation ...)
    It is just *sense*.

Once something big occurs, only the not-smart guys will volunteer to "take the responsibility" for the fail if there are still ways to "run".

I really don't like to have a manager talking to me using such a liar's paradox.
    I always want to be with truth, do real things and am ready to accept constructive comments. This might be why I refuse to work for Japanese bosses

I am always suffered from being controlled or interviewed and judged by people of lower skills. A short small test or 60 minutes of talks won't actually tells much.
    Last edited by terminalXXX; July 6th, 2012 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by terminalXXX View Post
    Theory. That is theory of management and people evaluation by "sense" (sense of responsibility, sense of teamwork cooperation ...)
    It is just *sense*.

Once something big occurs, only the not-smart guys will volunteer to "take the responsibility" for the fail if there are still ways to "run".

I really don't like to have a manager talking to me using such a liar's paradox.
    I always want to be with truth, do real things and am ready to accept constructive comments. This might be why I refuse to work for Japanese bosses

I am always suffered from being controlled or interviewed and judged by people of lower skills. A short small test or 60 minutes of talks won't actually tells much.
    Okay, very practical. But if tests and oral interviews won't tell much then why do you "think" they are lower of their skills ?