CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

No payment for overtime work

Some of the companies in my country (Italy) don't pay their workers extra money once they work overtime. These companies' owners mostly are local native(Italians coming back here from US, Canada or UK to do businesses) people. They always have reasons to not pay. In the US or Canada, what rules/laws force the employers to pay OT work ? I am really disappointed with my country's labor laws.

Re: No payment for overtime work

It may depend on the employment contract and how the employee is paid, methinks. For example, if you're paid on an hourly basis, I would expect a clause for overtime pay, but if you're paid on a monthly basis, I would expect no overtime pay.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

Quote Originally Posted by laserlight View Post
    It may depend on the employment contract and how the employee is paid, methinks. For example, if you're paid on an hourly basis, I would expect a clause for overtime pay, but if you're paid on a monthly basis, I would expect no overtime pay.
    I agree.. It depends on contract.. I don't think it's your country's law

I agree with others that they are most likely not breaking any country law. Doing so would be stupid since if they end up in court they have no chance getting away due to all documentation that they have for other regulatory reasons.

In Sweden it's an agreement between you and the employer if you get paid overtime or not. In the private industry the standard is 25 days of paid vacation and additional payment for overtime. For higher salarys and/or management positions it's very common with 30 days of paid vacation and no additional payment for overtime.

Overtime additional payment vary alot over the employee market (carpenter, cashier, nurse ...) but for my area it's 50% - 100% extra per hour depending on when the overtime occurs (extra long days, weekends and so on)

Some employers (like mine) believe that overtime isn't good for anyone in the long run so they pay for it regardless of salary/position. Doing so helps avoiding getting into a situation where overtime is required (bad project planning -> overtime required -> project budget overdrawn -> bad business) but the main reason is that employees that not are weared out and have time for the family perform better and thus make way for better business (deliveries on time and on budget -> good reputation -> easier to get paid better). They also stay for a longer period and finding new employees is a costly process for the employer.
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
    Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by
    definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    - Brian W. Kernighan

To enhance your chance's of getting an answer be sure to read
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/announ...nouncementid=6
    and http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366302 before posting

Refresh your memory on formatting tags here
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

Get your free MS compiler here
    https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs

Quote Originally Posted by S_M_A View Post
    I agree with others that they are most likely not breaking any country law. Doing so would be stupid since if they end up in court they have no chance getting away due to all documentation that they have for other regulatory reasons.

In Sweden it's an agreement between you and the employer if you get paid overtime or not. In the private industry the standard is 25 days of paid vacation and additional payment for overtime. For higher salarys and/or management positions it's very common with 30 days of paid vacation and no additional payment for overtime.

Overtime additional payment vary alot over the employee market (carpenter, cashier, nurse ...) but for my area it's 50% - 100% extra per hour depending on when the overtime occurs (extra long days, weekends and so on)

Some employers (like mine) believe that overtime isn't good for anyone in the long run so they pay for it regardless of salary/position. Doing so helps avoiding getting into a situation where overtime is required (bad project planning -> overtime required -> project budget overdrawn -> bad business) but the main reason is that employees that not are weared out and have time for the family perform better and thus make way for better business (deliveries on time and on budget -> good reputation -> easier to get paid better). They also stay for a longer period and finding new employees is a costly process for the employer.
    same situation is also applied over here in egypt.

Yes. I fyou are on a salaried position (rather than on an hourly), there is no overtime commitment in most cases. Many salaried people I know work 70+ hours a week and some work 90+ hours many weeks with no extra pay. It comes down to whether or not you feel your extra work is paying off in getting you recognized for promotions/raises. If you find yourself working extra hours with no credit and no recognition and no hope for rapid advancement or promotion or raise, then it's time to start looking for another environment.