CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Visual Studio 2003 on Vista Question

Good afternoon everybody,

I'm thinking about getting a copy of Visual Studio 2003. I want to install it on Vista. Will VS2003 install and run well on Vista? I have a need to look at a lot of code that is VS2003 which when I open in vs2010 and convert, it doesn't convert well. I would be happy to just have the ability to see the source cleanly so that I can copy and paste. So anyway will it work on Vista or maybe even windows 7?

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Visual Studio 2003 on Vista Question

Quote Originally Posted by viperbyte View Post
    I have a need to look at a lot of code that is VS2003 which when I open in vs2010 and convert, it doesn't convert well. I would be happy to just have the ability to see the source cleanly so that I can copy and paste
    What's the problem with using VS2010? What languages is the code using? If, as a minimum, you just want to view the VS2003 source, why can't you just open the .??? (eg .cpp, .c ?) files in VS2010?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Some of the files can't be viewed at all in VS2010. And when I say "cleanly" I mean that the project is fully functional and I can play around with. So let me completely drop that part of the post out like I had a feeling I said too much and just ask the following: Will ppl hear please chime in on whether VS2003 can be run on Vista? That question is the point of the post. I'd appreciate the feedback to that question very much.

I don't/haven't used vista so don't know if VS2003 can be run under Vista. However, the install notes for VS2003 SP1 don't say that vista is a supported OS - so it probably isn't.

Have you thought about installing Virtual PC 2007 (free) onto vista and then creating a virtual XP machine under vista onto which you can then install VS2003?

See http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl...s.aspx?id=4580
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Good afternoon everybody,

I'm thinking about getting a copy of Visual Studio 2003. I want to install it on Vista. Will VS2003 install and run well on Vista? I have a need to look at a lot of code that is VS2003 which when I open in vs2010 and convert, it doesn't convert well. I would be happy to just have the ability to see the source cleanly so that I can copy and paste. So anyway will it work on Vista or maybe even windows 7?
    The biggest problem you will be facing is obtaining a copy of Visual Studio 2003, IMHO. I had Visual Studio on Vista for quite some time and I do not recall major issues ( might be because I am getting old and cannot remember well ). I wouldn't recommend converting your 2003 code to 2012 / 2013 though as there are many many differences and you would be better off creating from scratch as was the case with many of my older programs that I had to update. Obviously this is just my opinion

Hello Hannes, how's it going? I dowloaded sample code from an O'Riley book(Programming MapPoint in .NET). The download has projects that cover chapter 1 through chapter 10. But those are VS2003 projects. So I wouldn't be converting these projects to 2010/2012 projects. I just want to look at the projects and play around with them as-is. I see a bunch of VS2003 for sale on the internet. We'll see how it goes after I get a copy. I'll keep everyone posted.

I have a need to look at a lot of code that is VS2003 which when I open in vs2010 and convert, it doesn't convert well.
    What problems are you experiencing? I've done some conversion from VS2003 to VS2010 and I don't remember having many problems. Although like Hannes said, this might be because I am getting old and cannot remember well!

Well 2kaud since you said you did some conversions from VS2003 to VS2010 I tried it again and took a closer look. I took a closer look to answer your question which made me see the problem. So I got it to work for the most part. Now at least I can look at the source and copy and paste the important stuff. Thanks. Now I don't have to buy VS2003 Yeaaayy.