CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Intel Visual Fortran on MS Visual Studio 2010 is not creating an exe after build

I have MS Visual Studio 2010 and Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE 2011 installed on Windows XP. When I try and re-compile an old Digital Visual Fortran project (*.dsp), it doesn't create a *.exe file. I was able to re-compile an old Digital Visual Fortran (*.dsp) about a year ago, but haven't done since then. I can create a simple console "hello world" exe, but not my old projects. I've tried several old *.dsp projects and they all result in the same problem. Here are my steps:
    1. Open old *.dsp project in Visual Studio 2010 (which has Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE also installed, as well as Framework Net ver4). It immediately asks to "convert to current visual C++ project format" and creates some *.vcxproj files.
    2. I select "Build Solution" and it shows "Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped" but it does not create an exe in the Release folder. It does create a log file, which I've attached.

Any ideas why I can't get an exe created?
    Attached Files Attached Files

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Intel Visual Fortran on MS Visual Studio 2010 is not creating an exe after build

Has it created the .exe in the Debug folder? or in another folder? Have you tried searching your system for the file to see if it has been created at all somewhere?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Re: Intel Visual Fortran on MS Visual Studio 2010 is not creating an exe after build

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Has it created the .exe in the Debug folder? or in another folder? Have you tried searching your system for the file to see if it has been created at all somewhere?

I had it set to the release folder, but yes I did search the entire HD including the Debug folder. I did not change the default Output Directory, under Project->Properties->Configuration Properties->General, which shows ".\Release\" for the Output Directory. It's strange how I can create a new application and build an exe, but not my old Digital Visual Fortran projects (*.dsp). I have tried several old projects, some that are very simple code. And strange how I was able to build an exe about a year ago. It's not a permissions thing, because I can create files in the folders. I guess I can always try and re-install software. I was hoping the log file that I uploaded could help someone figure it out.

I have some new information regarding this...
    I have ten *.FOR subroutine files and none of them had *.OBJ object files that were created. I still don't know what the problem is, but I wanted to say that I was not getting any object files. Why would the linker be successful without any object files? You can see in the log file there are multiple references to unsuccessfulbuild due to false conditions of ('' != ''), whatever that means.
    I was able to work-around this problem by creating a new Fortran Console program and then adding the *.FOR files and that compiled into a new exe just fine.
    I guess the problem is related to opening the *.dsp file and the new environment (either MS Visual Studio 2010 or Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE 2011) trying to convert the project into a new compatible project and it creating *.vcxproj files.

It's not a permissions thing, because I can create files in the folders. I guess I can always try and re-install software.