CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

COMException Problem

Good Morning gang,

I'm learning how to program Microsoft MapPoint and have hit a snag when trying to run some code which is one of the project files of an O'REILLY book called "Programming MapPoint in .NeT" -Chandu Thota. Let me add a little background and mention that the book explains that the MapPoint APIs are COM and that we use .Net wrappers to use the MapPoint component.

Name:  COMException.PNG
Views: 187
Size:  48.7 KB

I was able to get some code to run when creating projects from scratch by manually referencing the COM/Microsoft MapPoint reference. When I try to use the sample code that's when I get the error shown in the image. Do you think you guys can help me figure out how to get this to work?
    Last edited by viperbyte; July 25th, 2013 at 07:55 AM.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: COMException Problem

The error you are seeing is because the MapPoint COM components aren't registered on the machine you are running them on. The book should explain how to install the MapPoint components.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

You could very well be wasting your time with MapPoint. The following is from the MapPoint SDK msdn documentation:

The MapPoint Web Service is no longer available. Please see the Bing Maps documentation at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd877180.aspx. Use this documentation only as a reference to update your application.
    Getting Started with Bing Maps

Thanks for the extra information. I really especially appreicate the Bing Maps alert.