CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Calculating the score at the end of a test and then saving it into Access.

Hi, I've got a problem with my spelling program where I'm not able to display the correct score at the end of the test. Also, after somebody's help with that, I'd greatly appreciate help from someone to show me how to then save that score into access. Thanks.

Btw. The 'Test' form is the form which actually displays the test for the student. It includes these labels: 'Week number', 'lblWeekNo2', (This lable will actually change to a week number once the test starts, some bits of the test show up once the user actually clicks the start button and you can see that in the code below.) 'Definition', 'Answer', 'lblInfo' (This label changes as the the test progresses, it shows when the test starts and then simply displays the number of the questions, however, once the test is finished it changes to ''You have successfully completed the test! Well done!'') 'lblDef', (This label is linked with the database to actually show the definition to the user.) a text box which allows the student to actually type in the answer as well as two buttons. 'Start' (Starts the test and shows some bits and hides others[shown in the code below]) and 'Next' which basically just shows the next definition to the user.
    I've tried to display that score for the user but no matter what I do, it always shows the answers that the user has typed in and no score. (Even though I don't actually want these answers displaying there, just the score...)

This is the code that I've so far:

Code:
    Public Class frmTest
        Dim Conn As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection()
        Dim Score As Integer = 0
        Dim Ansrs(1, 9) As String
        Dim r As Integer = 1
        Private Sub btnClose_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnClose.Click
            ' When a user will press the exit button, a message box will appear asking whether they want to close the program and if a user clicks 'Yes' then 
            ' the whole program will close but if they click 'No' then the message box will simply dissapear 
            Dim Result As DialogResult
            Result = MessageBox.Show("Are you sure you wish to close the program?", "Close program?", MessageBoxButtons.YesNo)
            If Result = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.Yes Then
                ' Makes sure that the program will actually fully close
                Application.Exit()
            Else
            End If
        End Sub

Private Sub btnPrev_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnPrev.Click
            ' Instead of just closing the form, it closes the form so that when you open it again, everything resets
            Me.Dispose()
        End Sub

Private Sub frmTest_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            ' Makes all the things invisible before the actual test starts
            lblDef.Visible = False
            lblWeekNo2.Visible = False
            lblInfo.Visible = False
            lblDefinition.Visible = False
            txtAns.Visible = False
            lblWeekNo.Visible = False
            btnNxt.Visible = False
            lblAnswer.Visible = False
            ' Opening the connection
            Conn = New OleDb.OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0; Data Source=Database for VB.accdb")
            Conn.Open()
        End Sub

Private Sub btnNxt_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnNxt.Click
            If r = 10 Then
                Ansrs(0, r - 1) = txtAns.Text
                txtAns.Text = ""
                FinishTest()
            Else
                Ansrs(1, r - 1) = txtAns.Text
                r = r + 1
                txtAns.Text = ""
                StartTest()
            End If
        End Sub
        Private Sub btnStart_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnStart.Click
            ' Makes all the buttons that you will need in the test, visible. It'll show the field for the user to complete
            txtAns.Visible = True
            lblWeekNo.Visible = True
            lblWeekNo2.Visible = True
            lblDef.Visible = True
            lblDefinition.Visible = True
            btnStart.Visible = False
            lblAnswer.Visible = True
            ' When the button 'Start the test!' is clicked, the 'StartTest' sub routine will start
            StartTest()
        End Sub
        Private Sub StartTest()
            ' Making the 'Next' button visible to allow the user to complete the whole test
            btnNxt.Visible = True
            ' Reading data from the database
            Dim StringStart As String = "SELECT * FROM TestData WHERE WordNumber = " & r
            Dim Comm As New OleDb.OleDbCommand(StringStart, Conn)
            Dim RDR As OleDb.OleDbDataReader = Comm.ExecuteReader
            RDR.Read()
            lblDef.Text = RDR.Item("Definition")
            Ansrs(0, r - 1) = RDR.Item("Answer")
            lblWeekNo2.Text = RDR.Item("WeekNumber")
            lblInfo.Visible = True
            lblInfo.Text = r & "/10"
        End Sub
        Private Sub FinishTest()
            lblInfo.Text = "You have successfully completed the test! Well done!"
            lblInfo.Left = (Me.Width / 1.5) - (lblInfo.Width / 1.5)
            ' When the test is done, it makes all of the things that the user won't need anymore, invisible
            lblDef.Visible = False
            lblWeekNo2.Visible = False
            btnNxt.Visible = False
            lblWeekNo.Visible = False
            txtAns.Visible = False
            lblAnswer.Visible = False
            lblDefinition.Visible = False
            TestScore()
        End Sub
        Private Sub TestScore()
            For r As Integer = 0 To 9
                MsgBox(Ansrs(0, r))
                If Ansrs(0, r).ToLower = Ansrs(1, r).ToLower Then
                    Score = Score + 2
                    MsgBox("You have scored " & Score)
                End If
            Next
        End Sub
    End Class
    P.S. 'Exit' as well as 'Previous' button don't have anything to do with this. Just thought that I might include the whole form instead of some bits though.

Re: Calculating the score at the end of a test and then saving it into Access.

@Ref

Re: Calculating the score at the end of a test and then saving it into Access.

This doesn't have any context here, most likely. Use DEBUG to produce the current results
    Code:
     If Ansrs(0, r).ToLower = Ansrs(1, r).ToLower Then
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!