CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

reading into array/2d array from mixed text file..

I know to read a strings into array and tables.. what is they are mixed up?? strings are just names ( 3 characters) and there are bunch of table.. the max size was set to 60

ex. text file

JES
    DAN
    JEN
    RAM
    JET
    .... and so on

should i use a while loop?

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: reading into array/2d array from mixed text file..

Do you want the names to be read into one array and the binary numbers into another - or do you want them all read into just the one array? It would be better to use a vector rather than a fixed sized array. If you just want to read the data into a vector then something like this would do

Code:
    open file and test for error
    while (data extraction is good) {
         add data to vector
    }
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Pretend you're us, with no idea what you're trying to do. Read your post and see if it makes sense. Kudos to 2kaud for taking a shot at it, but I have no idea what you're asking.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Do you want the names to be read into one array and the binary numbers into another - or do you want them all read into just the one array? It would be better to use a vector rather than a fixed sized array. If you just want to read the data into a vector then something like this would do

Code:
    open file and test for error
    while (data extraction is good) {
         add data to vector
    }
    yeah there are 2 different arrays.. string names[60] and table[60][60].. but they are mixed up.. how do i make sure.. names get read into string and numbers into table??

Code:
    for (int i = 0; i < size; i++)
            {

myfile >> students[size];
                myfile >> table[size][size];

}
    this isnt working

This will always extract the data into the array one element past its end!

Is there a pattern to how the names and numbers appear in the file? Or is the arrangemen of names/nunbers somewhat random? If there is a known pattern, then the extraction code can make use of this. If there's not then you will need to read each item from the file as a string and then determine whether it is a name or a number and assign to the appropriate array element.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

the names are only 3 letters, but the teacher said array should be able to hold up to 60 names.. she gave us a new file.. so now the file has 15 names and table is also 15 x 15 but the table should also be able to go 60 x 60.

file.txt

{15 names}
    JAN
    DAN
    { 15 X 15 } tabele

and your c++ problem is? Design wise, it's a simple matter of reading first the names and then the digits and storing them in the array.

See http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...ork-assignment

and your c++ problem is? Design wise, it's a simple matter of reading first the names and then the digits and storing them in the array.

See http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...ork-assignment
    my hw is wayyy different.. im just trying to learn how to read more than one different data types from a file.. until now we only learned reading int..

To read different of kinds of data types from a file, there are basically two ways. If it is a text file and you know the format of the data then you just extract the data using stream extraction to variables of the required type. eg

Code:
    int i;
    string s;

infile >> i >> s;
    assuming the file contains
    Code:
    abc
    then i will contain 123 and s will contain abc.

If you don't know in advance the format of the data in the file, then you need to extract all data as a type string and then check the format of the data read (eg is the first char of the string a letter or a digit etc) to find out what type it should be and do an appropriate conversion.

To read different of kinds of data types from a file, there are basically two ways. If it is a text file and you know the format of the data then you just extract the data using stream extraction to variables of the required type. eg

Code:
    int i;
    string s;

infile >> i >> s;

assuming the file contains
    Code:
    abc
    then i will contain 123 and s will contain abc.

If you don't know in advance the format of the data in the file, then you need to extract all data as a type string and then check the format of the data read (eg is the first char of the string a letter or a digit etc) to find out what type it should be and do an appropriate conversion.
    Right now all the data is stored as string.. How do I extract? Because 1's and 0's are also stored as lines in string using get line... Whereas they should be stored in 2D array table. Thank you

So if the first char of the string read is a '1' or a '0' then you have a binary number. Simply iterate through the string and place each char in the required position in the array. Each row will hold a number with the columns holding the individual elements. So the row number will increase for each string read and the col number will start at 0 and increase for each element of the string.