CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Need help exporting flexgrid contentrs to Excel

I have an order entry/billing program for a small weekly newspaper chain. On several screens of sales recaps shown on flexgrids I have the option to export the data to Excel so users can do additional data manipulations. My approach is to write a .csv file which the user can save to their desktop. They then open Excel and read in the saved file.

The programs are at least 10 years old and still functioning as designed EXCEPT that some of the users now have newer versions of Excel on their machines, and those users can no longer use this option; Excel (newer version) says it does not recognize the file format.

Is there some way that my VB 6.0 code can write a plain vanilla file that can be read by any version of Excel (the files contain all data, no formulas, etc.)?

Smile Re: Need help exporting flexgrid contentrs to Excel

Very easy, just replace all commas by a tab character and then name the file .tsv instead of .csv - Loads on all office versions up to 2013!

Make sure values are formatted using regional date and number format on the PC you open if on, then all data will be correct!