CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Exclamation Strange compiler behavior

Hi Everybody!
    I would be most grateful for the explanation of a very strange compiler behavior I experienced.

This is what I basically had in my code:

class Facade
    {
    public:
    // some static method used to traverse over a static collection attribute
    static CollectionElement* getByProperty(/* … */)
    {
    CollectionElement* elem = 0; // default return value
    // Loop through the collection of elements in order to return a specific element
    // …
    // Return the element when you find it!
    //return elem; // <---- this is the line of code I initially omit to write!

}
    private:
    static Collection myCollection; // some static collection attribute
    };
    So I forgot to return a pointer to some collection element from my static method (I did have a warning)!
    Then I accessed the returned pointer from the calling code and realized that not only did not my application crash but also the pointer was pointing to the valid data obtained whilst looping through the collection !!!

Can anyone explain how this was possible?

Best Regards,
    Branko

Re: Strange compiler behavior

Quote Originally Posted by brankok View Post
    Then I accessed the returned pointer from the calling code and realized that not only did not my application crash but also the pointer was pointing to the valid data obtained whilst looping through the collection !!!

Can anyone explain how this was possible?
    I'm pretty sure that not returning a value from a function (other than main) that has a return value is undefined behavior.
    Probably the compiler created the machine code in such a way that the stack location that holds the function's return value was used in the function to store the element pointer in the loop.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

That’s the only reasonable explanation, I know, but still strange to me, I didn’t expect that the same stack location holds the function’s return value and the local variable.

Quote Originally Posted by brankok View Post
    That’s the only reasonable explanation, I know, but still strange to me, I didn’t expect that the same stack location holds the function’s return value and the local variable.
    For performance reasons compilers often try to keep variables in registers as much as possible and also use registers to pass function return values back to the calling code.

The function returns a CollectionElement* pointer so its not unlikely the compiler decides to hold elem in the return register. Especially if elem is the only local variable of the CollectionElement* type it's a very likely return candidate. It's rational to keep it in the return register all the time because it saves an assignment upon return. With this scenario the return statement wouldn't add any code even if it were present - and that's why it works without it.

You can find out what actually happens by looking at the compiler assembly output.
    Last edited by razzle; March 24th, 2014 at 11:05 PM.

If you write a bug, then "anything could happen"... including getting the exact behaviour you were expecting/intending to get.