CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Accessing Mainframe DB2 database from a Visual Basic Application

Hi,

I am developing a Visual Basic application using VB 6.0 (fat client) and SQL Server database as the backend under Windows NT 4.0 environment

I am using SQL OLEDB for connecting to the server.

Down the line in the development process, there is a need for changing the backend database to Mainframe DB2 database

In this regard, I need help on the following:

0) Is this a difficult exercise to be carried out?If not, what is the difficulty level if I am strong in VB and not much in Mainframes.
    1) What is the necessary software that I need in Windows Environment
    2) How do I connect to the Mainframe DB2 database?
    3) What are the changes that need to be done in the application
    4) Are there any changes to be done on the DB I/O operations currently done in SQL Server environment
    5) What are the other parameters that influence my current application and that needs to be handled if I have to develop in mainframe DB2?

Can anyone reply to me providing with the topology diagram with Windows NT client and the backend Mainframe with intermediate system environment details including hardware and software?

I had tried browsing the IBM side - Redbooks and other discussion forums but could not get the exact details for the above questions

I am really hard pressed for time ...

Appreciate your help and you can directly reply to my mail id [Email Adress Removed]

Thanks and Regards

Sam
    Last edited by DataMiser; April 3rd, 2014 at 12:35 PM.

Re: Accessing Mainframe DB2 database from a Visual Basic Application

Have you thought about using ADO ?
    With ADO you can switch between ODBC compliant databases far more easily. Assuming that your database structure is the same. You will probably only need to make changes to your SQL.

I was thinking on using ADO (as I am acurrently using it). What I am looking for is a fairly detailed steps involved in achieving this approach

You can provide a sample VB code detailing the steps in accessing the DB2 database and consequent error handling on VB side to have an efficient code

I will be preparing a document on this approach for internal discussions hence I need the details

Sam

First:
    Do some research on OLE db providers for DB2. I am sure there is one by now, but you be sure. By switching your ADO provider all of your ANSI SQL should still work. DO NOT use RDBMS specific functions like switch or len, these will bite you in the port.

Second:
    Organization
    don't build stored procs as you are planning on migrating, use in line SQL. Try very hard to make all of your SQL statements into constants that you just append where conditions on IE.
    const cCUSTOMER as string = "SELECT * FROM Customer"
    `later in code
    rs.open cCUSTOMER & condition,connection ect
    this will make your code easy to read and change if there are reserved keywords that you use as fields or joins that do not port to DB2. Also you can move to stored procs later if you have to and the changes should be simple.

TANSTAAFL - There ain't no such thing as a free lunch

Hello Sam
    I guess this is a little too late to get a reply but nevertheless, let me inform you that there is a Technology just for that, already in use for many years in Telefonia (Spain), developed by a coleague of us.
    The name of this technology is NA, and so far handles millions of transactions per day.

If you continue being interested in this matter, please contact me at [Email Address Removed]

Best regards
    Quote Originally Posted by nsam View Post
    Hi,

I am developing a Visual Basic application using VB 6.0 (fat client) and SQL Server database as the backend under Windows NT 4.0 environment

I am using SQL OLEDB for connecting to the server.

Down the line in the development process, there is a need for changing the backend database to Mainframe DB2 database

In this regard, I need help on the following:

0) Is this a difficult exercise to be carried out?If not, what is the difficulty level if I am strong in VB and not much in Mainframes.
    1) What is the necessary software that I need in Windows Environment
    2) How do I connect to the Mainframe DB2 database?
    3) What are the changes that need to be done in the application
    4) Are there any changes to be done on the DB I/O operations currently done in SQL Server environment
    5) What are the other parameters that influence my current application and that needs to be handled if I have to develop in mainframe DB2?

Can anyone reply to me providing with the topology diagram with Windows NT client and the backend Mainframe with intermediate system environment details including hardware and software?

I had tried browsing the IBM side - Redbooks and other discussion forums but could not get the exact details for the above questions

I am really hard pressed for time ...

Appreciate your help and you can directly reply to my mail id

Thanks and Regards

Sam
    Last edited by DataMiser; April 3rd, 2014 at 12:37 PM.

This thread is 14 years old, surely the poster has either found an answer or moved on long ago.

Do not revive old threads like this and do not post you email address in the open forums unless you really like getting spam.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.