CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Ising Model C++ Metropolis Algorithm

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Code:
    if (delta_E <= 0 || ((double)rand() / (double)(RAND_MAX)) < (double)exp((double)-delta_E))
    the if condition is a logical or. If either or both of the seperate conditons (left and right of the ||) is true then the if condition is true.
    The first condition is easy. For the second, (double) means cast (convert) the result of what follows to be of type double. As rand() and RAND_MAX are both integers, they are first cast to double so that the result is of type double because in c/c++ an integer divided by an integer gives an integer (3/4 = 0). So the expression to the left of < gives a number of type double in the range 0 to 1 (for the probability required). The expression to the right of the < is what you stated was needed. The (double) casts are needed again to make sure that the types are as required.

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.60%29.aspx
    This would mean that the site (x, y) would be flipped, without doubt. If delta_E < 0, flip. If delta_E > 0, it means that the exponential is between 0 and 1, so flip. I need the flipping process to be such:

1. If delta_E < 0 flip.
    2. Otherwise, flip with probability exp (-delta_E). If w = 0.7 = 70%, this means that if there are 10 sites with the same value of w, only 7 out of 10 times will site be flipped.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

This would mean that the site (x, y) would be flipped, without doubt
    No

If delta_E <= 0 then flip
    if delta_E > 0 then flip if exp(-delta_E) > random_number_0_to_1

When evaluating logical or conditions, the left hand expression is evaluated first. If this is true then the right hand expression is not evaluated. The right hand expression is only evaluated if the left hand expression is evaluated to false. if delta_E is <= 0 then the left condition is true and the right is not evaluated. The right expression is only evaluated if the left is false.

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/z68fx2f1.aspx
    Last edited by 2kaud; April 15th, 2014 at 04:21 PM.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    No

If delta_E <= 0 then flip
    if delta_E > 0 then flip if exp(-delta_E) > random_number_0_to_1
    Ah I see, I missed out the > random_number_0_to_1. Ok this makes sense. If exp(-delta_E) is between 0 and 1, the chances of it being bigger than a number between 0 and 1 is also 0 and 1. This will work!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234