CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Threaded View

Re: Moving from VC++ 6.0 to VC++.NET

Quote Originally Posted by wavering View Post
    Well, I didn't come here to argue about the merits or otherwise of Mopeks but after that comment I have little choice but to reply. What I am trying to do here is move a FULLY OPERATIONAL program from VB6 and VC++ 6.0 to .net
    You did mention performance in your original post and I consider it a more important problem than the rather trivial porting issue. And obviously you referred to Mopeks in order to draw attention to this project. There's nothing offensive about that.

http://www.mopeks.org/

You state human higher intelligence is about playing out different scenarios in the mind and then pick the best. Certainly, but there is nothing novel about that and when you decide to simulate it with a genetic algorithm it becomes just an ordinary evolutionary approach (despite your attempts to dress it up in a metaphysical garment).

There's lots of research going on in this area. If you missed my link please have a look,

http://www.cgchannel.com/2014/01/coo...on-for-bipeds/

Watch how the creatures first evolve to walk and then learn to run and to avoid objects thrown at them.

I didn't say the 20 years you've spent on this have been wasted. You've obviously learned a lot and have a working program. What I'm saying is that your image of yourself as the leader of a paradigm shift is not grounded in reality. Your project shows a resemblance with alchemy and the search for the philosopher's stone. I've seen it before. People hope that by molding a program long enough it will magically transmute into an elixir of life, in your case show human intelligence. I strongly recommend that instead of just tugging on for another 20 years you consolidate this project in real science and devise a more realistic strategy for the future (see my previous post).

Good luck.
    Last edited by razzle; August 11th, 2014 at 02:24 AM.